Mechanical PE Exam Prep - Analysis Paralysis

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33069

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I intend to sit for the April 2017 Mechanical PE Exam and am looking into preparation materials and courses.  So far I'm leaning towards three options but am having a difficult time deciding, so I thought I'd ask you all for feedback because I just want to freaking choose one and get started.

Here are the options I'm considering:

1) Study on my own, using the MERM, Six Minute Solutions, and any other materials you all might recommend.  I've seen posts elsewhere of people who've seen success with this route.  Obviously, this route is the least expensive and allows the most flexibility.  This route also completely lacks any kind of structure or schedule other than that which I may determine for myself, which is kind of a turnoff.

2) Enroll in Dr. Tom's Classroom 20 week program.  A coworker highly recommended this program to me and, although it doesn't have a REQUIRED schedule, it has a SUGGESTED schedule.  I really like that balance between structure and flexibility.  This route will cost substantially more than studying on my own, as I'll have to pay for the course on top of the study materials.

3) Enroll in PPI2Pass Mechanical Review.  I'm drawn to this because it appears to be an all-in-one solution (you can purchase the materials and enroll in the course all at once) and, if I'm not mistaken, PPI are the people who publish the MERM, etc. so I expect for there to be congruence throughout the material.  This option is the most expensive, but it also seems to be the most well-packaged and, as mentioned before, having an all-in-one solution from the test prep publishers is a draw.

Things that matter to me:

- Convenience and flexibility (self-paced)
- Structure so that I can be confident I'm on track (recommended study schedule)
- Test preparation strategy guidance
- Test taking strategy guidance

Anybody have any feedback regarding which route I should take?  

Which route did you take and how effective was it?  

Any recommendation other than the options I've described above?

Thanks in advance!

I say enroll in a class. It's an investment in time and money.

I've read positive reviews with Dr. Tom's review. I think @SNAPE/SMOTT PE took that class a few years ago.

Based on your description I assume you're taking the Mechanical TFS exam module.  As Matt pointed out, Dr. Tom's review has many advocates and it's characteristics fit your list of things that matter almost exactly.

I've read positive reviews with Dr. Tom's review. I think @SNAPE/SMOTT PE took that class a few years ago.
Yes, I did take Dr Toms after two failed attempts. There is a lot of stuff you forget once you leave college. Things I thought I remembered one way, and actually was doing wrong. It's a good course, and he is easy to follow.

Based on your description I assume you're taking the Mechanical TFS exam module.  As Matt pointed out, Dr. Tom's review has many advocates and it's characteristics fit your list of things that matter almost exactly.

Yes, I did take Dr Toms after two failed attempts. There is a lot of stuff you forget once you leave college. Things I thought I remembered one way, and actually was doing wrong. It's a good course, and he is easy to follow.
Thanks a lot!  I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.  I believe I'll move forward with Mr. Tom's, as I've heard nothing but good things about it.  I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again for the insight!

I think you will be pleased with the course. Much better than I had expected. But then again, it's 20 weeks, where the others are cram courses from my understanding. More time you have, the better. Try as best you can to stick to schedule. One thing I did was read the material he covered in MERM for that week before doing  anything. When I took it, it wasn't the first thing you did if you went by his schedule. He literally breaks it down for what to do each day. Also, I prepped/made/organized all my binders before starting the course. I also copied all the NCEES practice problems and the SMS problems, so that I could cut and past into the appropriate binder/section when I worked them. Made it easier to reference later.

Back