Questions on Transpo PE Test

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been working at a Geotech firm doing testing and inspection. Ive taken the Geotech portion twice already (failed both times, I suck) and I don't see myself passing it. I'm looking into taking the transpo portion this next go around in October and had a few questions:

1. Whats the difference between the EET live webinars and on demand one? Does the on demand one come with the binder?

2. What are your thoughts on the Mansour materials and will they help me taking the PM portion of the exam?

I work on saturdays and wouldnt be able to sit in on the live webinars, so thats why I'm asking if the on demand one is a "do it at your own pace type deal".

Thanks all! I'm just trying to get this over with......3rd times the charm right lol??

If you invested serious study hours into Geo, I'd stay with that.  But your idea about taking a review class with EET is a good one (whether you stay with Geo or switch to Transpo).  Webinars are live and on-demand are recorded.  You can play, pause, rewind, and re-watch the on-demand recordings at your desire.  I think purchasing the webinar also includes access to the recordings.  I believe the on-demand comes with the binder but you can double check with others or even EET themselves.  EET comes highly recommended around here.  Good luck. 

Do you already have all the reference materials for the transportation portion? If not, be prepared to throw down some $$$ for those references. Also, how did you do on the morning portion of the test in your previous attempts? My concern would be only having 2 months to learn everything. Although after two attempts, you should be very familiar with the AM stuff.

ptatohead thanks for the comment man, yeah I have put in time for Geo but i feel like nothing prepares you for some of the conceptual questions on the PM part (which theres a lot) unless youve been in the business for a while. I've only been doing this for like 2 years. I heard transpo is more knowing the books and knowing where to find things. I def will look into the EET stuff though.

Duckflats thanks! I have the money and its well worth the investment, but whatd you guys think though? 2 months isnt enough? Right now i dont even feel motivated to study. Im working 6 days a week like 10-12 hours, I just cant find the motivation to study. I should really probably consider postponing until next April. But the more I put it off the more apprehensive I get never passing the thing.

bi, does NCEES allow you to change your depth module this close to the exam?  Can you postpone the exam until April without big penalty?  Have the EET classes for fall already started?  If you are going to take the exam in Oct '16, I'd stick with Geo.  If you can and want to postpone until Apr '17, then you have a few more options.  So, I guess you have to decide which depth you want to take and when you feel you can dedicate the many hours of required prep time.  I think you can pass Geo if you put in the required prep time, class or no class.  I also think you can pass Transpo.  So, you need to be the one to decide.  My advice would be to aim for Oct '16, stick with Geo, hit it hard,  take the EET class if you can, and put in the required time.  Even with a review class, be prepared to put in dozens of hours outside of the class.  Good luck.

OP- what is your breakdown for the am? Are you leaving points on the table in the AM?

Usually a typical strategy is to shoot for 30+ in the am and then you just need a little more than half in the PM.

Transportation may seem "easier" but it's one of those situations where the devil is in the details- like knowing how to find some random factor in the HCM. Or having the right book to tell you what size letters go on interstate signs mounted to bridges....

And if I recall (10 years ago).... You could take any PM section that you want to....

OP- what is your breakdown for the am? Are you leaving points on the table in the AM?

Usually a typical strategy is to shoot for 30+ in the am and then you just need a little more than half in the PM.

Transportation may seem "easier" but it's one of those situations where the devil is in the details- like knowing how to find some random factor in the HCM. Or having the right book to tell you what size letters go on interstate signs mounted to bridges....

And if I recall (10 years ago).... You could take any PM section that you want to....
Good points RG.

Yeah, about 6-8 years ago, they stopped handing out all 5 PM packets to everyone.  Now you have to register your PM module selection ahead of time and that's the exam booklet you'll receive on test day.  They even group the seating in the exam room by module. 

There are plenty of conceptual questions in transportation as well. Keep in mind you would be switching from a test that lists 2 design standards to one with 11 standards. If you plan to take this in October. I agree with the others about sticking with geotechnical. Assuming you are scoring 75-80% in the AM, 2 months should be enough time to take a review courses on-demand, especially if you have basically been studying that depth subject for over a year now. If you are dead set on switching to transportation, I'd wait for April and take a review course. Plus, who wants to study during football and duck hunting season??? Balancing work, life and studying is tough, and it's even worse when you have to take care of babies as well. If you are scoring under 75%, you really need to reevaluate how you are studying for the AM, because it obviously isn't working. Your employer should see the value in you becoming a PE and work with you on your work schedule.

Does EET have a Geotech module?! If so can someone give me the link for that? Also is there a geotech PE forum on this engineering board? Maybe I can pick the brains of people who took the Geotech portion of the PE on that portion. Guys I want to thank you all, mixing work and this studying thing is super stressful. I really appreciate the help and insight 

Not sure about that. I would assume so. I took school of PE for transportation. I am assuming you are in FL based on your name, where about? I grew up in Merritt island and live just outside of orlando now.

Does EET have a Geotech module?! If so can someone give me the link for that? Also is there a geotech PE forum on this engineering board? Maybe I can pick the brains of people who took the Geotech portion of the PE on that portion. Guys I want to thank you all, mixing work and this studying thing is super stressful. I really appreciate the help and insight 
Dude, I found this link in 30 seconds of searching:

http://www.eetusa.com/classes

And the Geotech forum on this site.....  you can find the Transpo forum but not the Geo forum right next to it?  :p

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?/forum/37-geotech/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all! I have a quick question for those of you who took the transpo exam in the past (and passed it) and took a review course while studying for it, specifically the EET course, but this question is not excluding those who took other courses. I am currently enrolled in the EET course for breadth and depth and we are about halfway through the breadth of the course and I am really enjoying it and getting a lot out of it. I am spending about 3-4 hours a day outside of the class doing the assigned practice problems and quizzes and also doing practice problems from the NCEES practice exam that pertain to topics we have covered in the course. I did take the exam this past April and missed it by about 10 questions so I did do some studying prior to taking the course as well. My question for you guys is, how well can I rely on the EET course to cover the key topics and material for the exam? should I be relying more heavily on my other reference materials and practice problems? the reason I ask is because I have been going through the practice exams in Goswami's book and the questions in that book seem about 40% harder than what I have seen in the review course. after running into these difficult problems it made me pretty worried that the course is not challenging me enough or preparing me enough for what is expected of us. Any information is very appreciated! And yes I understand this topic is discussed at no end but I would like to hear what those of you did outside of your review course classes and material?

Thanks again!

Just read the other EET reviews. All you need for 90% of the exam is your EET binder. The exam isn't hard, it just covers a lot of ****. All that **** is in your EET binder.

Goswami exams are good to get some practice, but you're right, they are harder than the exam. EET's stuff is harder than the exam.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, John QPE! That is very reassuring to hear! I keep going through a rollercoaster of confidence and doubt! I guess I just need to stay focused and be confident in the process! I am enjoying it much more this time around though, that is for sure! Thanks again!

I took School of PE. Also thought the test was pretty easy, but I studied my ass off. Although I spent a lot of time and money on the review course, I didn't fully trust it for the depth. So instead of just looking up answers to various questions in the notes, I always tried to answer the question by using the NCEES reference materials first. This forced me to become familiar with things like the Greenbook and MUTCD. I then tabbed the hell out of those references. I also made a cheat sheet for my course materials by problem type. If it was a freeway LOS question, I had a page number for my NCEES reference and my class stuff. This helped me a lot.

Not sure about that. I would assume so. I took school of PE for transportation. I am assuming you are in FL based on your name, where about? I grew up in Merritt island and live just outside of orlando now.
I'm in Vegas (born and raised) lol. Unfortunately my pops raised me as a phins fan lmfao

2 hours ago, DuckFlats said: Not sure about that. I would assume so. I took school of PE for transportation. I am assuming you are in FL based on your name, where about? I grew up in Merritt island and live just outside of orlando now.
I'm in Vegas (born and raised) lol. Unfortunately my pops raised me as a phins fan lmfao
Haha. Yea I'm a 6 generation Floridian...and I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan.

Back