PE Exam Reference - HCM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InternetUser

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions from people who took PE Exam (Transportation) and can point me to the right direction. It turned out the only hard copy of Highway Capacity Manual I have is way outdated. I have a pdf, but I am not looking to print the entire HCM mainly because I will not be comfortable with in on the exam since I never use it. What topics or what chapters are a must of Transportation PE exam?

My head is full and I cannot think straight. I tool PE exam last time, but don't recall anything specificly associated with HCM, so I am lost now. I am almost done with my AM portion and moving to PM now and want to make sure I have everything I need (hard copy) for the exam. Printing only applicable to PE Exam material will help me a lot, so your thought and help is greatly appreciated!

Not to sound crass, but if you don't remember anything specifically relating to the HCM on the exam there is a reason you are taking it again, and if you aren't familiar with the HCM by test day, you will be taking it a 3rd time.

I'd  call you a fool if you don't bring the entire thing with you if you have it, but since you asked, at a minimum I would have Chapters:

4, 11, 12,14, 15,18, 20, 23

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's also be careful not to be too specific on what we actually saw on the exam.

OP is good .... saying you didn't use the HCM on Transpo is like saying you didn't use Mannings on WRE .... nobody believe you :sucks:

I am looking for suggestions from people who took PE Exam (Transportation) and can point me to the right direction. It turned out the only hard copy of Highway Capacity Manual I have is way outdated. I have a pdf, but I am not looking to print the entire HCM mainly because I will not be comfortable with in on the exam since I never use it. What topics or what chapters are a must of Transportation PE exam?

My head is full and I cannot think straight. I tool PE exam last time, but don't recall anything specificly associated with HCM, so I am lost now. I am almost done with my AM portion and moving to PM now and want to make sure I have everything I need (hard copy) for the exam. Printing only applicable to PE Exam material will help me a lot, so your thought and help is greatly appreciated!
Please don't ask us to spoon feed you.  Please research and research and then research some more on your own, then feel free to come back and ask us specific questions.  We'll be happy to help.   

Printing entire thing. thanks for the valuable input!

Just to clarify, I did use one, much older version with some corrections made to it + had other material with some inserts from HCM. If I don't have one updated laying around in my office it only means we don't use it on regular basis. Spending my $$ into buying new one - not at this time. Managed to get a pdf, but was hoping to print only applicable chapters since it's a lot of paper.

Sorry for wasting your time guys and no more stupid questions from E.I.T. here...

Can I use HCM 2000 instead of HCM 2010? the price difference is huge?!

Can I use HCM 2000 instead of HCM 2010? the price difference is huge?!
Sure, you can use anything you want. This test can be huge for your career on a professional and monetary value, just spend the extra money and get the latest version.

Printing entire thing. thanks for the valuable input!

Just to clarify, I did use one, much older version with some corrections made to it + had other material with some inserts from HCM. If I don't have one updated laying around in my office it only means we don't use it on regular basis. Spending my $$ into buying new one - not at this time. Managed to get a pdf, but was hoping to print only applicable chapters since it's a lot of paper.

Sorry for wasting your time guys and no more stupid questions from E.I.T. here...
Would you mind to share the pdf of HCM you have with me? Just trying to get the PDF from someone in EB for so long.

Back