Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
ptatohed

Everything you wanted to know about the CA-Survey/Seismic Civil PE Exams

Ble_PE    2,024
2 hours ago, CAPLS said:

Well, first thing I would like to the written message where BPELSG told you to not contact the them.  Not because I don't believe you, but because I want to see exactly what the message says.  Please post what that message says or if you're more comfortable email me a copy at ric.moore@dca.ca.gov

Next, I would certainly respond with additional information that clearly answers the deficiencies as soon as you can.  The sooner you respond, the greater chance you have for being approved in time for any exams.

Next, I'm guessing that you are currently licensed in another jurisdiction and one where the P.E. is generic in nature so when you provided paperwork for that license, you didn't have to demonstrate that the experience was discipline specific.  Either that, or you have submitted an NCEES Council Record.  When you apply in California for a license as a Civil Engineer, all qualifying experience must meet the definition of civil engineering as defined in the California laws (PE Act Section 6731).  And that is always what people think is civil engineering.  Feel free to email me your name if you wish me to delve deeper into this.

I just sent you an email with a copy of the letter that told me not to contact the board. I am in the process of getting the necessary information together for the application to be complete, but I don't want to sign up for an on-demand study course for this fall if I'm not going to be able to take the exam until next year. Thanks for your help!

mlcosson    0

@Ble_PE I got the same letter as you did, stating that  the only thing missing from my app was sufficient detail to show that my experience could be considered civil engineering experience. I am currently at the 2 1/2 month mark, waiting for a reply from the CA board after submitting requested additional detail on my work experience. So, based on my experience, your odds of hearing back before the Fall 2017 exam cycle are pretty low.

CAPLS    33
30 minutes ago, mlcosson said:

@Ble_PE I got the same letter as you did, stating that  the only thing missing from my app was sufficient detail to show that my experience could be considered civil engineering experience. I am currently at the 2 1/2 month mark, waiting for a reply from the CA board after submitting requested additional detail on my work experience. So, based on my experience, your odds of hearing back before the Fall 2017 exam cycle are pretty low.

micosson, please feel free to contact me with your information also.

meaganmg    0

What is the best way to ensure that your qualifying experience is accepted? Is there a "go to" source for what the Board is looking for to make sure your application gives the right information? If the application is denied on that count do you have an opportunity to provide additional information for reconsideration? Lastly if it's ultimatelt determined that you're not qualified yet, how long after passing the PE exam can you apply to the Board to take the CA exams (assuming there is a time limit at all). 

meaganmg    0
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, meaganmg said:

What is the best way to ensure that your qualifying experience is accepted? Is there a "go to" source for what the Board is looking for to make sure your application gives the right information? If the application is denied on that count do you have an opportunity to provide additional information for reconsideration? Lastly if it's ultimatelt determined that you're not qualified yet, how long after passing the PE exam can you apply to the Board to take the CA exams (assuming there is a time limit at all). 

@CAPLS Sorry to bother, but do you have any insight on this? Trying to determine if it's necessary to hold off on applying to the Board with more experience and looking for a good resource to check against. The most information I was able to find is question #5 in this faq: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/faq_eng.pdf

CAPLS    33
1 hour ago, meaganmg said:

@CAPLS Sorry to bother, but do you have any insight on this? Trying to determine if it's necessary to hold off on applying to the Board with more experience and looking for a good resource to check against. The most information I was able to find is question #5 in this faq: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/faq_eng.pdf

There is no 'go to" source that I am aware of.  Not trying to sound harsh, but it is really up to the applicant to understand the definition of the what constitutes the practice of the discipline that you are applying for.  And it is really up to the professional references that serve as your mentor(s) to truly understand what is and what is not the practice and guide you accordingly.

Best advice is to describe exactly what experience you have gained, how applicable that is to the discipline that you are seeking licensure for, and above all else, describe your role.  That last one cannot be taken lightly.  Many applicants will say something like "Performed an evaluation on a $100m transmission project involving X number of buildings, x miles of pipeline, and many change orders that needed to be compared to design specs."  The Board doesn't give a d__n on how much a certain project cost or how many miles of pipeline is involved.  And an immediate reaction will be "You performed what type of evaluation?  And was it an engineering evaluation?  What engineering did YOU ACTUALLY do on the project?"  Be specific to the discipline of engineering you are applying for.

A situation that arises often, especially for out of state applicants, is not working under the supervision of a licensed engineer, on a specific project, located in some other state for which the applicant is claiming experience.  For example, applicant claims 12 months of engineering experience working on Homer's Nuclear Power Plant in Springville, IL and the reference doesn't provide any evidence that he/she is licensed in the state (IL) that the project was located in.  It doesn't matter to the Board where the applicant lived or was sitting when doing that design, it is about where the project is located.

If any or all of your claimed work experience is not granted, you will be given the opportunity to provide additional information (engagement reference forms) until you reach the number of months of experience needed.  As of right now, there is no time limit after passing the exam and there is nothing being discussed otherwise.