Engineer Boards

Dexman PE PMP    3,435
8 hours ago, MA_PE said:

That's my home town.  Based on the speeds they were at when they reached the end of the runway and the distance they traveled, either something went wrong or it was deliberate. I'm thinking the latter. 

Road Guy    6,707

this has been kind of an issue here lately, I blame it partly on a lack of law enforcement, but we back up to some large 4 lanes pre built for future developments and they are being used as drag strips at night.  I guess our 4 barney LE's don't work nights.  Its kind of been the hot topic and one night the cops did stage they said they couldn't catch them before they headed into the next jurisdiction..

MA_PE    1,872
15 hours ago, Dexman PE PMP said:

That's my home town.  Based on the speeds they were at when they reached the end of the runway and the distance they traveled, either something went wrong or it was deliberate. I'm thinking the latter. 

It might have been deliberate but I'm thinking more towards a lack of reaction time to hit the brakes and a gross underestimation of speed,  required braking distance and the distance to the end of the runway.  I think they pushed for a high top end speed and didn't leave distance for braking and paid the price.

Road Guy    6,707

when I first glanced through that story I didn’t notice the part about them being 70!

Wonder if an autopsy or family will confirm any kind of cancer or some other bad stuff going on?

MA_PE    1,872

if they bother to do it at all.  Could well be that they wanted to go out with a bang, but there's no guarantee that you'll die in a straight line car wreck.

Dexman PE PMP    3,435

The fact that they were 70+ is what led me to think it was a deliberate act.

It also adds credibility to the theory that they weren't physically able to handle a vehicle in those conditions (heart attack, reaction times, etc)