Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PowerEngineer

Degree Hierarchy

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a BS in electrical engineering technology through Purdue University. I am currently earning a master of engineering in electrical engineering, while working as a full time engineer. I have passed the FE, and am eligible for the PE next year.

How do you think I will be viewed when applying for future engineering positions? Many jobs that I would be interested in require a BS in electrical engineering. I will have a BS in a closely related field, an Master of Engineering in electrical engineering, and my PE license. But I will not have that BS in electrical engineering.

Should I be worried at all, or will my other qualifications outshine my bachelor degree? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Hello all,

I have a BS in electrical engineering technology through Purdue University. I am currently earning a master of engineering in electrical engineering, while working as a full time engineer. I have passed the FE, and am eligible for the PE next year.

How do you think I will be viewed when applying for future engineering positions? Many jobs that I would be interested in require a BS in electrical engineering. I will have a BS in a closely related field, an Master of Engineering in electrical engineering, and my PE license. But I will not have that BS in electrical engineering.

Should I be worried at all, or will my other qualifications outshine my bachelor degree? Any opinions would be appreciated.

You will be The Man!!!!

You will be The Man!!!!

:plusone:

Well I'm glad to hear that haha. I'll see if I can get that on a business card.

John Doe, PE, The Man

A few opinions, FWIW --

1. Once you get away from college, most people aren't scrutinizing your education to the degree of splitting hairs over an engineering technology degree vs. engineering degree;

2. The fact that you are able to obtain a Professional Engineer license indicates that the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) has determined that your education meets the minimum requirements for engineering curriculum; and

3. At the end of the day most people want you to be able to do the job that you say you can do - perfomance >> degree IMHO.

Good luck John Doe, PE, The Man

JR

However, there are a handful of states that even with a Master's, you will not be able to get licensed because of the technology degree.

JohnHu is correct... there are a few states that just don't consider people who followed a non-traditional education path :) but you will still be the man...

Generally speaking, your MSEE will supersede your BSEET, so you should be okay.

Sometimes I do not understand some questions. You would think that common sense will be enough but, nope, common sense it is not that common nowadays.

My supervisor has a BSEET, and he could (but didn't) get a PE if he wanted to. I think many states also recognize other states' PE licenses, so I wouldn't worry.