did anyone take on of those pipe size "wheels"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I cant recall what they are called.. but i remeber having this wheel / chart thing that you could line up the Q, slope, mannings, etc, and it would give you the pipe size (or whatever other variable you needed) did anyone have one of those during the test or would that have been "illegal" since it wasnt in a binded book or notebook?

I had a couple charts along those lines.

One gave all the parameters for open channel flow through a circular pipe, provided you knew some property relative to its full flowing value.

Like if you had a 12" pipe that was 4" full, d/d0 = 0.33. Then you could look across and pick off other stuff like area, velocity, etc.

There are also a couple of nomographs in the back of my hydraulics book.

I cant recall what they are called.. but i remeber having this wheel / chart thing that you could line up the Q, slope, mannings, etc, and it would give you the pipe size (or whatever other variable you needed) did anyone have one of those during the test or would that have been "illegal" since it wasnt in a binded book or notebook?
A guy that I work with wanted to take one of those and called ELSES. He was told that it depended on the individual proctor as to whether or not it was considered "loose". Technically, it was several pieces of cardboard but it had a fastener in the middle that went through all of the pieces so it could be considered "bound". He finally decided to punch a hole in it and put it in the front of one of his 3 ring binders and just used it while it was in the binder - he had no one question it.

Had another cowroker (hvac) that wanted to take a large psychometric (sp?) chart. It was like 24x36 drawing size. He put it between two pieces of cardboard and stuck brads through it so it was technically bound. Made sense to me.

Back