Weirs Summary

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IlPadrino

Reaction score
OK... Here's what I think is a good summary of weirs and it includes the illusive ogee spillway! I believe this is from the Chelapati review manual.

There are two sample problems at the end. The first one is particularly good because it uses my favorite shortcut: realizing when negligible contributions can make for a simplification. In this case notice an assumption was made which then led to a refinement (which made a negligible contribution but could have been carried out to a refined answer).

The second problem is interesting because if I wasn't given the equation for the spillway discharge, I could have come up with a slightly different answer - I would have chosen a C of about 3.7 to 3.8. Still, I think I'd have been close enough.

Does anyone have a good text-book differentiation between a weir and a spillway? I'm guessing a spillway has some fill on the downstream side and that a suppressed weir (completely submerged?) acts a lot like a spillway.

Bottom line: I'd print this out and add it to my notes - it might come in handy.

^^^ Nice summary. That material is from the Chelapati Workbook. I knew I had seen it somewhere and couldn't put my finger on it.

JR

Back