VW announces the end of the line for iconic ‘Bus’

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
IT HAS BEEN an icon of popular culture since the 60s.

Synonymous with the hippie movement and adored by travellers the world over, the Volkswagen Kombi, otherwise known as the VW Bus, will cease production at the end of this month.

From 31 December the van, which is only produced in Brazil, will finish rolling off the assembly lines.

http://www.thejournal.ie/vw-to-stop-producing-the-vw-bus-1217490-Dec2013/

I'm not a fan. As a matter of fact, after riding in one in a crosswind, I got out, and used other transportation to return. Only vehicle I've ever been scared for my life in because of the vehicle design.

Whenever I see a bus or hear of them, I always think of this:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2c-tMZSZtY

:i_cry:

For the sake of the Bus, here are some I like:

hqdefault.jpg

265494193_237a379a10_z.jpg

mini-bus.jpg

^VW do Brasil was still making them. They looked funny, like 70s bay window buses with radiators on the front. Silly.

Several years back I was in Sao Paulo, Brazil for training. Really, I was stuck in the hotel for two weeks and was only allowed out at night when we were brought to dinner. #)@$*)#@$*_@!@!! Anywho, the number of VW's on the road was staggering. It's almost like I took a leap back in time.

my dad had one of the hippie ones, not becuase he was a hippie but because we were poor.. but he had it up until I was in middle school. imagine being lucky enough to be a teenager and having to be picked up in that thing..

it was blue with star wars curtains..

yeah being a teacher in a rural county in the 80's wasnt a high paying gig..

We had a family van that was totally empty except the front bucket seats, until we got a new couch and loveseat.

The old couch and loveseat converted the van nicely.

That van had some memories... mostly blurry memories. :drunk1:

Back