Voters reject transportation tax

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
The metro Atlanta result was no surprise to independent pollsters who in recent weeks predicted an overwhelming loss, fueled by citizens' distrust of government and the metro area's splintered transportation desires.

Voters interviewed Tuesday — urban transit fans and suburban drivers — confirmed the predictions.

Shirley Tondee, a Brookhaven Republican, thinks the region must do something to solve constant transportation woes. But she voted against the T-SPLOST anyway. "I just don't trust that government is going to take the money and do what they say they're going to do," the retired sales representative said outside her precinct.

Robert Williams, a 59-year old electronic technician and a Decatur Democrat, is skeptical too. But in the end he voted yes.

"It was a struggle," he said. However, "we need to be able to grow. Traffic is one of the things that employers do take into consideration when they're thinking about where to bring jobs."

The metro Atlanta tax would have built a $6.14 billion list of 157 regional projects — relieving congestion at key Interstate highway chokepoints and opening 29 miles of new rail track to passengers, among others — as well as $1 billion worth of smaller local projects. The list was negotiated by 21 mayors and county commissioners from all 10 counties, and it contained about half transit and half roads.

The compromise didn't work.

Re-playing 40 years of Atlanta history, controversy built instantly around the proposed expansion of mass transit. Some loved it, some hated it.

A county here in the midland had a similar proposal rejected two years ago, so this year, they are voting again on basically the same proposal (with, more than likely, similar results).

Typical "I want the best services/infrastructure, but I don't raise my taxes!"

Anyone in another state hiring?

This was over marketed to death and it was just so poorly executed by Atlanta big wigs (private companies CEOs and the like)

Anyone in another state hiring?

This was over marketed to death and it was just so poorly executed by Atlanta big wigs (private companies CEOs and the like)
Charlotte? Dallas? One of those other cities that were mentioned in the T-SPLOST marketing material as destinations for all the business that isn't going to come here now?

More than likely, if it is similar to what's going on here, the sentiment is, "We're tired of being asked for more and more money to fund public transportation."

Take that off the ballot, and I bet you'd see drastically different outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than likely, if it is similar to what's going on here, the sentiment is, "We're tired of being asked for more and more money to fund public transportation."

Doubtful. The people in-town voted the referendum down because it didn't have enough public transportation.

Doubtful. The people in-town voted the referendum down because it didn't have enough public transportation.
Look at the statewide results.

http://www.ajc.com/news/tsplost-results-1483968.html

http://www.ajc.com/n...ts-1483968.html
Each regional referendum had a different project list, to be honest I have no idea what the make up of the project lists outside the Atlanta area was. The Atlanta area list was 52% public transportation project, which folks in the in-town counties said wasn't enough and the folks in the suburban counties said was to much.

http://www.ajc.com/n...ts-1483968.html
Each regional referendum had a different project list, to be honest I have no idea what the make up of the project lists outside the Atlanta area was. The Atlanta area list was 52% public transportation project, which folks in the in-town counties said wasn't enough and the folks in the suburban counties said was to much.
Public transportation is pretty much a failure unless there are conditions that make auto use onerous. And it takes a LOT of onerousness to get Americans out of their cars. As long as public transportation is thrown in the mix, generally speaking, the referendum will lose support.

There are Much more people that live outside of Atlanta than inside atlanta. Cobb, Gwinnett, each have 1 million people, north fulton another half million people, there's 2.5 million that have no desire or need for public transit....

Was set to fail when they let the local politicians create the project list, it should have been done by the state DOT in my opinion..

I was on the inside of one county working on the list and was utterly disgusted with how the projects got on the list, things like Los F, and accident data were thrown aside for complete bullshit projects... There were still some decent projects on the list but they failed to try and give each region a reason to go vote for a project that would directly benefit them...

I hope I have anew Joni before I have to work on the list again.....

Completely off topic, but any idea why US-27 in south GA is being transformed from a 2-lane highway to a 4-lane divided highway? There is absolutely *NO* traffic on this road. I assume there is a lot of federal dollars going into this, which seems like a colossal waste to me.

Completely off topic, but any idea why US-27 in south GA is being transformed from a 2-lane highway to a 4-lane divided highway? There is absolutely *NO* traffic on this road. I assume there is a lot of federal dollars going into this, which seems like a colossal waste to me.
Governor's Road Improvement Program... aka economic development thru roads

^Like a "if you build it they will come" kind of thing? Seems like it would make more sense to build roads where they're already needed.

Also in ga u have to spend money equally in all congressional districts so projects that aren't needed get built

It should be based on where the gas tax money is collected...

T-SPLOST? who picked that name?

marketing is pretty important, but you have to get the public trust. The Colorado democrat legislature ran a bill thru a few years ago that raised some money without a ballot intitiative by just raising motor vehicle registration fees. In an attempt to be transparent on that spending we have a boatload more paperwork and status updates monthly. We now have a republican legislature, not sure if there is a correlation there.

Colorado DOT decided that the time was not ripe for a new tax initiative, thanks for confiming that RG!

Regarding your project lists, if you look at the projects picked by the recent TIGER grants all have bicycle paths or unicorn fart powered transit included in them, it shows where the USDOT leaders have thier heads. and we all want to be like them.

LOST = Local Option Sales Tax, probably. Don't know what the other stuff is TranSPortaion?

Back