TWA Flight 800

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Former crash investigators are urging the National Transportation Safety Board to reopen the review of what brought down TWA Flight 800 in a fireball in 1996.

Former investigators from the NTSB, TWA and Air Line Pilots Association suggest in a documentary that missiles caused the plane to explode near Long Island and kill 230 people aboard. The plane was flying from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to Paris.

But the NTSB spent four years investigating the crash and rejected the possibility of a missile. The board found that the plane's center fuel tank exploded, "most likely" from a short circuit that jolted the tank through wiring from a fuel gauge.

"The in-flight breakup of TWA flight 800 was not initiated by a bomb or a missile strike," the board concluded in its report.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2013/06/19/twa-flight-800-crash-investigation-national-transportation-safety-board/2437829/

I couldn't tell you who fired it, but I've always thought this airliner was bought down by a radar guided missile with either a dummy or a malfunctioning warhead.

If I had to guess, I'd wager on a Soviet era SAM fired from a boat.

Former crash investigators are urging the National Transportation Safety Board to reopen the review of what brought down TWA Flight 800 in a fireball in 1996.

Former investigators from the NTSB, TWA and Air Line Pilots Association suggest in a documentary that missiles caused the plane to explode near Long Island and kill 230 people aboard. The plane was flying from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to Paris.

But the NTSB spent four years investigating the crash and rejected the possibility of a missile. The board found that the plane's center fuel tank exploded, "most likely" from a short circuit that jolted the tank through wiring from a fuel gauge.

"The in-flight breakup of TWA flight 800 was not initiated by a bomb or a missile strike," the board concluded in its report.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2013/06/19/twa-flight-800-crash-investigation-national-transportation-safety-board/2437829/

I couldn't tell you who fired it, but I've always thought this airliner was bought down by a radar guided missile with either a dummy or a malfunctioning warhead.

Who was the target? Was it terrorism?

Who was the target? Was it terrorism?

I don't recall any terrorist groups of note claiming responsibility, so I doubt that.

I've heard a Navy missile excersize went awry, but not sure i buy that. There would have been too many folks in the know.

I'm leaning towards a domestic white supremicist group that got the wrong plane, or a very high level corporate hit of some sort. The kind of thing where the people involved would want to keep quiet about what happened.

I doubt it was terrorists (either domestic or foreign) because when they do something like that, they like to brag about it.

I doubt it was terrorists (either domestic or foreign) because when they do something like that, they like to brag about it.

Not if they royally f'ed up.

Imagine white supremecists who wanted to shoot down an Israeli airliner, but bagged this one.

It might have been this guy. :dunno:

undersiege4.png

Back