Transportation Design Standards - what do I need for Structural depth module?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXengrChickPE

Here we go Steelers, here we go!
Reaction score
So, I will probably be taking the Civil PE w/ Structural depth in October (that is, assuming that TX decides that my application is adequate). Anyway, I have started collecting the references and study guides that I will need and even started working a few problems.

My question is this: Does it make sense to pay for any of the 8 Transportation Design Standards listed byNCEES for use on the Structural depth exam? I am planning on buying/borrowing everything on the structural list, but even after I got the HCM and MUTCD for free, the remaining Transportation standards are gonna run about $500. And, I don't know ANYONE who does transportation, so there's no chance of borrowing anything. I'm torn because Trans is supposed to be 10% of the PM exam, so 4 questions? But, I've heard of a lot of people who missed a passing score by 1 or 2 questions, so I don't want to be in the situation of not having something that would help with even a few points.

I would appreciate input from anyone who has taken the structural depth exam (with or without the transportation standards) and can give some idea if any were used, or if you wished you had something that you were missing.

Thanks.

I took the Transpo PM Exam - I didn't feel that you needed the references for the Transpo questions you will see in the AM. The CERM should be able to cover those. You may want to bring a text if you took any Transpo classes in college as a 'just in case' book. I brought a couple of old college texts in a crate as my 'just in case collection' - used a couple of them for the AM (environmental, geotech, water, and my college transpo texts). I think that crate was worth 3-5 questions.

At some point when I finally go an unload my crates, I will post under the 'What did you do right thread' what I had in each of my three crates.

Good luck.

-Ray

I took the structural depth and brought the AASHTO green book and the HCM. It was overkill for the exam I took. But like you said I'd hate to fail the exam just because I missed one or two questions.

Latest posts

Back