Transpo Reference item list

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tmckeon_PE

Get the 20% off of most "the other board" stuff by clicking on Save on books and other stuff and following the link for Engineer FE/EIT and PE Exam Prep

CERM 20% off looking at $128.

Civil Engineering in a Flash (flash cards...I used them) $16

Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Transportation Problems $36

(note: I got all the six minute sols for my prep)

Civil PE Sample Examination $36

Quick Reference for the Civil Engineering PE Exam $34

Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual $44

Highway Capacity Manual 2000 (get the CD and get it printed or print it yourself) $ 110.00 Buy Highway Capacity Manual

Minimum recommended for preparation for Transpo would then be $404.

Also, someone had a link to download the HCM (save $110 by downloading free).

Index for the CERM

Table of Contents for the CERM

Table of Contents for the CERM

FDOT QOS handbook

FDOT QOS handbook

NHA specifications search

NHA specifications search

FHA geotechnical publications

FHA geotechnical publications

Field Indicators of Hydric Soils in the United States

Field Indicators of Hydric Soils in the United States

NRCS list of publications (soils and such)

NRCS list of publications (soils and such)

SOIL TAXONOMY AND CLASSIFICATION

SOIL TAXONOMY AND CLASSIFICATION

The Manual of Uniform Minimum Standards for Design, Construction and Maintenance for Streets and Highways (The Florida Greenbook)

FDOT Intersection Design Guide

Here are the books I took:

HCM - Especially read the chapter on "Defaults"

Land Surveyor Reference Manual (for those bearing-azimuth problems)

ITE- Traffic Engineering Handbook (used in both AM & PM)

ITE - Transportation Planning Manaul (Used in the PM)

Roadside Design Guide (Read the small print if you get a table)

MUTCD (Also read the fine print)

AASHTO Green Book - Take current edition (seriously check the AASHTO site for revisions just before the exam)

Design & Control of Concrete Mixtures - PCA - Helped in the PM

6 Minute Soltions- TRA, There were some very similar questions

I also found a Soils Textbook Handy in the PM.

Also make sure you know how to do an "average difficulty" critical path problem.

Also make sure you can do the mass haul diagram, worthless to know in todays world, but sadly it still shows up on the exam.

Engineering Economy - These are really simple if you work some, dont lose easy points.

I've noticed that the techstreet site has the AASHTO Green Book you can download in PDF (for $120). Seeing that it comes in PDF, does anyone know of a place on the internet it can be downloaded for free?

Here are the books I took:
HCM - Especially read the chapter on "Defaults"

Land Surveyor Reference Manual (for those bearing-azimuth problems)

ITE- Traffic Engineering Handbook (used in both AM & PM)

ITE - Transportation Planning Manaul (Used in the PM)

Roadside Design Guide (Read the small print if you get a table)

MUTCD (Also read the fine print)

AASHTO Green Book - Take current edition (seriously check the AASHTO site for revisions just before the exam)

Design & Control of Concrete Mixtures - PCA - Helped in the PM

6 Minute Soltions- TRA, There were some very similar questions

I also found a Soils Textbook Handy in the PM.

Also make sure you know how to do an "average difficulty" critical path problem.

Also make sure you can do the mass haul diagram, worthless to know in todays world, but sadly it still shows up on the exam.

Engineering Economy - These are really simple if you work some, dont lose easy points.
Roadguy,

I don't have either of the ITE books, PCA book, or the Roadside Design Guid. Did you feel that any of these are 'musts' for the Transportation Exam? Any feeling on the Asphalt Handbook MS-4 (or will the couple of charts in the CERM suffice)?

Thanks for your help.

-Ray

I know the Roadside Design Guide is must have.

If you have some other good traffic engineering books then you might be able to get by without the ITE books. But I pulled 2 questions out of the Traf Engineering handbook, and 1 out of the transportation planning manual (I asked around and begged and borrowed these books)

I also pulled a question out of the PCA book. The same info might be in the CERM

As far as pavement design I think there are enough charts in the CERM to cover it. I also think those questions are almost too long to ask on the exam (but you never know)

If I remember correctly, there was at least 1 question that required tables/charts from the Roadside Design Guide (which I didn't have) and at least 1 that required the MUTCD (which I did have). So they do pull questions from the "required" reference list. But, other than that, I'm pretty sure I was able to attempt all the other problems with just the CERM, Green Book and HCM, well, and some of my old college texts on trans, geo and water helped too!

It's funny that you mentioned that you pulled answers from those books, because I had the Traffic Handbook and I don't recall even using it! But going through the book I do recall that it had a lot of reference info that I already had in college texts and notes, so maybe that's why.

Any idea where to get the Roadside Design Guide ($200 with the Chapter 6 revision at AASHTO) a little bit cheaper? I may try to get my employer to 'add to their technical library'. The Traffic Engineering Handbook looks like $110 will be about the best I can find there with the Asphalt Handbook MS-4 being around $75.

Then again, with all the money I have spent so far, why stop now, right?

-Ray

I used the roadside Design guide for 1 or 2 questions in the april exam(failed) and in the October Exam(Passed). Also the MUTCD, green book,HCM had a couple of direct questions, Hickerson for surveying , I had the ITE Handbook but didn't use it, I used an old Highway Engineering Book from college for 2 questions. '.02'

the RDG should be out there somewhere, we have it on CD, but I cant figure out a way to get it to copy (I cant even get it to copy to my hard drive??)

I know it sucks to pay $100 bucks for abook for one question, but I think last time I got either a 50 or 51 and failed, so the second time around I didnt mind paying the extra money for a couple of questions.

I had also sold my traffic engineeringbook from college so thats why I got the ITE books(I borrowed the planning manual and traffic engineering handbook)

also when it comes to expensing books, remember its always easier to get forgiveness than permission :BK:

FWIW, a friend who passed the transpo exam in Oct 2005 gave me the dozen or so books he used for the exam and it doesn't appear he used the ITE "Transportation and Traffic Engineering Handbook" at all. Every other book he hit liberally with pen, pencil, highlighter and page tabs. But the ITE book is totally unmarked.

Also, the only reference on the NCEES suggested list he did not have was the Roadside Design Guide. I got a "xerox" copy from the library at my workplace. It's not a full copy, just Chapters 3-10. Apparently somebody copied those chapters for the PE assuming it was all they needed.

I am not sure what conclusion to draw. Maybe the guy would have attempted the exam fewer than three times if he had properly utilized the ITE and RDG. Or maybe the moral of the story is those resources were not needed to pass, even for a guy who had trouble with the exam.

the RDG should be out there somewhere, we have it on CD, but I cant figure out a way to get it to copy (I cant even get it to copy to my hard drive??)
I know it sucks to pay $100 bucks for abook for one question, but I think last time I got either a 50 or 51 and failed, so the second time around I didnt mind paying the extra money for a couple of questions.

I had also sold my traffic engineeringbook from college so thats why I got the ITE books(I borrowed the planning manual and traffic engineering handbook)

also when it comes to expensing books, remember its always easier to get forgiveness than permission :BK:
Please burn the CD and send it to me. I will also post the document here if you do.

Thanks.

The PCA book has a lot of good info. I may actually keep it after I pass.

I used the RDG for a couple questions in Oct. , but did not pass.

I didn't take ANY of the "Suggested" books from the NCEES website in April last year, and shortly into the afternoon, I realized that it was going to be a mistake. It seemed like every other problem was a look-up type problem, and I failed with a 50/80. So, before the October exam, I purchased EVERY single book that was on the list. It seemed to me that there was a few look-up type problems, but not as many as April, and I got a 49/80.

I'll be going back NEXT October, since I've had my 3 strikes, and have to wait a year.....BUT, I'll have my reference books. Sure wish I had them last April!!!!

Point is.....DON'T let that be the reason you don't pass! :wacko:

I wish I could find a good reference for:

Mass Haul Diagrams ( I read every word on the page in the cerm and the "thing" they asked for WASNT in there thats for damn sure)

Critical Path Items

Soil Loss / Evaporation / jobsite Dirt Required how much water to add, etc I think they count those as tra problems and not geotech

They seem to do a good job of keeping you guessing on which of the above will be on the exam. I will find out on my 3rd try as well in April 07.

I wish I had of either copied some of the pages out of the ITE Traffic Engineering Book or borrowed it. And I think since I dont have a decent textbook, that I will seek to borrow the ITE transportation planning manual this next go round (I think both times they would have really helped)

I wish I could find a good reference for:
Mass Haul Diagrams ( I read every word on the page in the cerm and the "thing" they asked for WASNT in there thats for damn sure)

Critical Path Items

Soil Loss / Evaporation / jobsite Dirt Required how much water to add, etc I think they count those as tra problems and not geotech

They seem to do a good job of keeping you guessing on which of the above will be on the exam. I will find out on my 3rd try as well in April 07.

I wish I had of either copied some of the pages out of the ITE Traffic Engineering Book or borrowed it. And I think since I dont have a decent textbook, that I will seek to borrow the ITE transportation planning manual this next go round (I think both times they would have really helped)

There is a book called Route Location and Design by Hickerson that has a discussion of the mass haul diagrams. Its an old book, you may find it at a university library. It has lots of good survey info as well.

Please burn the CD and send it to me. I will also post the document here if you do.
Thanks.
I do have the RDG CD in my company, but, you can burn or make a copy of that CD. The manual is in three ring binder. So, my suggestion will be to see if some of your friend's company has that one, and just make a copy.

Back