Tour a WWII sub

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_pampanito/index.html

USS Pampanito is a World War II Balao class Fleet submarine museum and memorial. Pampanito made six patrols in the Pacific during World War II during which she sank six Japanese ships and damaged four others. Her biggest day came on September 12, 1944, when she and two other submarines surprised an 11-ship convoy and sank seven vessels. Later, Pampanito rescued 73 Allied prisoners of war who had been carried aboard the enemy transports.

That's really cool. It took me about 4 images to figure out you could also look up and down - I've never seen complete panaroama views like that.

Subs are cool. I toured an active duty Los Angeles Class nuclear attack sub last month. Defintely a little nicer than this WWII sub, but the old sub looks nicer than I expected. I could definitely live in one of the L.A. class subs.

Theres a German U-boat you can tour at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. We toured it last year and I cant believe people lived in those conditions. Being crammed in that thing with a few tourists damn near made me freak out, it would have been frighting to be in there while being depth charged.

Back