Time Warner Cable Weather Alerts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I don't know what the deal is, but lately TWC weather alerts have not only started scrolling across the top of the screen, but they shut down the audio on the program and the National Weather Service announcement is read aloud. And they do this on ALL channels. seeing that it is summer, and we get severe t-storms on a daily basis, it has really become a PITA.

Is this a nationwide thing, or just the local TWC?

Ours isn't like that. We had one pop up last night. It scrolled quietly across the bottom of the screen with a map of the affected areas in the lower right corner of the screen. I did notice that they had started showing just the areas of the county that were affected, rather then saying the entire county was under an advisory.

The EBS system kicks in for Tornado Warnings, and that completely shuts down the cable box to read the entire warning. I haven't had it happen for anything other than a Tornado Warning though.

Agreed on Time Warner. And flashing it ONCE isn't enough. You end up missing 1/3 a show because of it. Oh, the storm's not in your county? Who cares, let's flash it anyways. Sucks even worse when you can't even DVR a show without it.

The truly ironic thing is that if the storm actually IS in the area, the dang alert comes on over the special broadcast by the local weather guys. So instead of specific information, you just get the NWS general stuff "a storm is in your area."

WTF, it is so poorly thought out, it isn't even funny. Could even be called dangerous.

We have RCN cable and I've never seen this.

We don't have the scroll like you are saying, but in general, TV is info overload these days. Put on ESPN and you get the ticker at the bottom of the screen, the agenda for Sportscenter on one side, and an ad for what's going on over on ESPNTopeka.com.

Back