Thousands believed affected by faulty McAfee virus update

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
McAfee has admitted that an update to its antivirus signature has paralysed corporate computers - but played down the significance, insisting that "less than one half of one percent of our enterprise accounts globally and a fraction of that within the consumer base".
The fault means that a critical Windows system file is removed - meaning that the machine will not boot up. McAfee said that it had remedied the flaw in its scanning with a new update - but people whose machines were affected might have to fix the problem manually.

Users were outraged. "Imagine hiring a personal bodyguard, when suddenly and without explanation, the bodyguard turns and shoots you in the face. That was the feeling I had for 7 hours and 15 minutes today, on a day that I had a LOT of work to get done," said David Henkemeyer in a comment on the blog.
More at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/...afee-update-fix

I heard it shutdown Intel chip production.

Ruh-row.

As mentioned in the 10K, McAfee can lick my whatchahousits. I'll spend the latter part of this afternoon restoring files that have gone missing thanks to this incident. Of course, the IT guy says it's going to be a while before he can upload the server backup files because he's so busy fixing machines.

But it's not a big deal. It's "less than one half of one percent" of their "enterprise accounts." I guess their feeling is 'F the consumer, we only want corporations'? And that any press is good press?

As mentioned in the 10K, McAfee can lick my whatchahousits. I'll spend the latter part of this afternoon restoring files that have gone missing thanks to this incident. Of course, the IT guy says it's going to be a while before he can upload the server backup files because he's so busy fixing machines.

I talked to our IT guy and each machine has to been fixed manually and it has been taking him about 2 hours a machine. Thankfully, the update did not make it to the Chicago server and never got pushed out to me.

Back