The Prez Debates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EM_PS

shining like a lighter...
Reaction score
Well, I gutted out the 1st presidential debate last nite - Its hard to read thru the BS the candidates spout, as so much of what they say is what they've been saying. I wish the moderator would try to solicit more individual, direct candor from the debaters rather than the bottled generic quests both candidates already have clearly made public their stance on thru their websites or what not.

Anyways, found it somewhat troubling the McCain could not once, level his gaze at or make eye contact w/ Obama. He looked angry, and focused almost 'Rain-man'-like on the moderator thru out the entire debate. Obama would shift his attention back & forth between McCain & the moderator rather easily. McCain better get some help from his camp on carrying a stronger, more confident public persona, cuz last nite's debate didn't really do him too good superficially. These things do matter in the eye of the voting public. . .

other thoughts, observations?

I really like this format of answering the question to the moderator and then to address each other. It really helped get each of them off the script early and often.

I thought that it was roughly a draw. This really surprised me because I expected McCain to completely dominate the debate that focused on foreign policy. If the later topics favor Obama's platform, then McCain is going to get rolled in these debates.

Another observation--Obama was very well prepared for this debate and it showed. McCain will have to ramp up his debate prep in the future if he places any value on the role of debates in his campaign.

Im also glad that Obama called the financial downturn an issue of national security. That is the first time that I have heard a national figure say that.

I was a bit disappointed... it's the same "experience vs. change" discussions ad naseum. But here's my new conclusion: I'm just not smart enough to understand the details of our economy. I don't know what happens when businesses get tax cuts. It stands to reason there's got to be some trickle-down from large businesses operating in the US. I don't trust Obama when he claims to be so worried about "Main Street". Does anyone really think a tax cut for the average Joe is going to fix our economy? To me it's pandering, pure and simple. Too bad, because... our next president will get elected by people who are below average intelligence. That is, by definition, half the population is below average. Are many of the voters smart enough to see through all the pandering?

McCain seemed stronger on the economy than I expected. But he didn't seem to hold such a high ground on security, either.

Many of the moderated questions never got answered.... and neither of the candidates was willing to ask hard questions of the other.

But the thing that surprised me the most was how often Obama accused McCain of being "more of the same eight last years" without any real response from McCain.

I liked McCain's assertion that Obama "just doesn't understand" but I wonder if it was overused. Too bad McCain probably won't get credit for offering specific solutions (reduce cost plus contracts and consider spending freezes) - I heard it said he was acting "too senatorial".

I really like this format of answering the question to the moderator and then to address each other. It really helped get each of them off the script early and often.
I liked the premise of it too - again, however, McCain just could not seem to address anyone but the moderator. I was hoping thruout the debate that he would actually turn & face the man he was debating, at least once in awhile. McCain's dialogue & rhetoric were fine, i think enough to say the debate probably was a draw. But he really came off unpolished, almost awkward - probably a credit to Obama being more prepped for the debate.

History def shows us that the image/persona conveyed in these debates can make or break a candidate's chances, regardless of platform stance.

looking forward to round 2. . .

Anyways, found it somewhat troubling the McCain could not once, level his gaze at or make eye contact w/ Obama. He looked angry, and focused almost 'Rain-man'-like on the moderator thru out the entire debate. Obama would shift his attention back & forth between McCain & the moderator rather easily. McCain better get some help from his camp on carrying a stronger, more confident public persona, cuz last nite's debate didn't really do him too good superficially. These things do matter in the eye of the voting public. . .
I didn't see the debates - I was gainfully engaged in other ... pursuits. :)

However, I will say that I was wondering how McCain would come across looking since it has been a long week with the financial markets debacle. I am sure part of the reason his camp would want him NOT to debate is that he may be looking haggard and from comments I have heard from friends as well as in this thread, that seems to be the consensus - he looked tired.

Not a good thing for him as he tries to court and persuade the undecided voter ...

JR

Too true. Remember how history remember's Nixon's Lazy Shave?
Heh. the most infamous perhaps ^

"In September and October, Kennedy debated Republican candidate and Vice President Richard Nixon in the first televised U.S. presidential debates in U.S. history. During these programs, Nixon, nursing an injured leg and sporting "five o'clock shadow", looked tense and uncomfortable, while Kennedy appeared relaxed, leading the huge television audience to deem Kennedy the winner. Radio listeners, however, either thought Nixon had won or that the debates were a draw.[18] Nixon did not wear make-up during the initial debate, unlike Kennedy. The debates are now considered a milestone in American political history—the point at which the medium of television began to play a dominant role in national politics.[12] After the first debate Kennedy's campaign gained momentum and he pulled slightly ahead of Nixon in most polls."

More recently though, Clinton vs Bush Sr, then vs Dole, G.W. vs Gore. . .

And sadly, we have millions of idiots with a voting card in our country who will vote for the guy that "LOOKED BETTER" or who has the most make-up on. Very sad.

I thought the debates were about a draw. I think that neither candidate would have swayed one single vote from the other side on that one. If undecided before, they are probably still undecided.

till round 2

Only one canidate wants to take away everyone's guns.

Only one canidate has sent letters to all the major media outlets trying to get in the way of the free speech of the NRA.

Only one canidate has attempted to get in the way of my free speech.

Only one canidate voted against regulations that would have halted this financial mess 2 years ago.

I am voting against that canidate.

Even though I'm a Mississippi State fan, I think Ole Miss did well in hosting this thing. This was more of a statement for my home state, and I was proud of the way it was conducted.

Because truth be told, I was scared to death one of our state's idiots would show his butt in some way.

Anyways, found it somewhat troubling the McCain could not once, level his gaze at or make eye contact w/ Obama. He looked angry, and focused almost 'Rain-man'-like on the moderator thru out the entire debate. Obama would shift his attention back & forth between McCain & the moderator rather easily.
This might be due to McCain’s years of torture, and age; I've seen that he cant raise his arms past his chest. If you've ever had a stiff neck, it gets old turning your whole body to look at somebody standing next to you.

This might be due to McCain’s years of torture, and age; I've seen that he cant raise his arms past his chest. If you've ever had a stiff neck, it gets old turning your whole body to look at somebody standing next to you.
He can't raise his arms above chest level and I suspect he probably has a lot more joint pain/arthritis than he'll ever let on. He often seems "stiff" with his neck and upper body movements - and for good reason.

I thought McCain was going to wipe the floor with Obama, but it looked like a draw. I did get tired of hearing McCain say "Miss Congeniality" and "doesn't understand." Like wise, I got tired of Obama's "Look" at the biggining of every response.

I was highly annoyed with the entire debate. Neither of them answered one question.

The first question was "would you vote for the bailout?" and both talked about foreign aid and Iraq! If one of them had the balls to actually be stright forward and answer a question they would get elected post haste.

I did like McCain actually having a pair and offering a solution to the financial crisis with the spending freeze. I did find it "sappy" that he threw in "veteran affairs" in though with the things he would authorize spending for.

Obama did make some good rebuttals, but again they were not even aimed at the question at hand. Unfortunately I don't think the next debate is going to give us any better insight into the type of people they are or what their plans are for Presidency.

I would like one of them to explain how withdrawing troops would be considered "losing". I do think Obama hit the nail on the head with the Iraq vs. Afganistan argument though, if that didn't demoralize the troops I don't think withdrawing from Iraq will.

This thursday (i believe) is the VP debates - oughtta be interesting. . .see if Palin can keep her head in this, or if she'll throw more ammo to the press:

e.g. in interview w/ Katie Couric, Palin claimed foreign policy experience because of Alaska's geographic proximity to Russia & Canada :huh:

I would like one of them to explain how withdrawing troops would be considered "losing".
If we up and move out tomorrow, the insurgents mixed with Iranians and Syrians, would up and move in.

Therefore all of our efforts would be for nothing. And we'll probably be back within 10 years to 'remove' them from power.

If we maintain a much longer (but smaller) presence, then we can avoid that from happening. We can keep stability in Iraq, provide a buffer between Iran and Israel, and hopefully postpone WWIII.

Kinda simple really.

Back