The P-38, the best army invention ever

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
http://www.army.mil/article/25736/the-best-army-invention-ever/

size0-army.mil-47684-2009-08-11-140806.jpg

FORT MONMOUTH, N.J. -- It was invented in just 30 days in the summer of 1942 by Maj. Thomas Dennehy at the Subsistence Research Laboratory in Chicago.
And never in its more than 60-year history has it ever been known to "break, rust, need sharpening or polishing," which is why many Soldiers past and present have come to regard the P-38 C-Ration can opener as one of the best Army inventions ever.

C-Rations (tin cans filled with a variety of meats and vegetables) have been replaced with Meals Ready To Eat (MREs) but the phenomena of the P-38 continues due to the countless other uses that Soldiers found for it.

"The P-38 is one of those tools you keep and never want to get rid of," military policeman Sgt. Scott Kiraly said. "I've had my P-38 since joining the Army and kept it because I can use it as a screwdriver, knife, anything!"

Sgt. Maj. (Ret.) Steve Wilson believes it's the size of the P-38 that counts.

"It's a perfect inch-and-a-half making it a great marking tool. Because it's small, it doesn't take up a lot of space and that's essential in Army life. The conveniently drilled hole in the top half means the P-38 can be put on a key ring or dog tags and go anywhere," he said.

According to Col. (Ret.) Paul Baerman, however, the most vital use of the P-38 is the very mission it was designed for.

"When we had C-rations it was your access to food, making it a priority," he said. "Then Soldiers discovered it was an extremely simple, lightweight multi-purpose tool. I think in warfare, the simpler something is and the easier access it has, the more you're going to use it. The P-38 had all of those things going for it."

the only time I actually used one of those in the Army was to open one of those large cans of folgers coffee (before they had plastic lids) lets just say thats a task best initiated when your not in a hurry...& lots of people standing around wanting coffee!

I enlisted in the 1990 so they didnt issue them anymore, but I think i picked one up at the PX, just cause, well, I think it was iimplied to have one ;)

I have a couple of these. Never served, but know their use quite well. I keep one with my fishing gear, another with my camping gear and one in my Search & Rescue pack. There's a few others floating around too; probably one in each toolbox, etc...

Use them all the time when camping, I find it is much easier to clean off than a regular can opener; and is much lighter / easier to pack. It's still a good backpacking tool, should you be bringing canned goods into the field with you.

I have a few mixed in with my fishing/hunting/camping gear. I haven't done any of them in a while, so I'm not really sure where my P-38s are.

^^^ My dad had one on his keyring for the longest time. At least until it unfolded and stabbed him in the leg...

Something tells me that you can't bring these on planes anymore...

Actually, you can. I had one on my keyring and they let me through without any hassle.

Although, keeping said keys in your pocket can get very painful.

Kinda suprised me too, but they're starting to let you on with small tools now days. This is just another "small" tool.

I've had no problems with eye glass repair screwdriver kits, mini screw driver sets and some specialized measuring tools (micrometers, etc...). Not about to try the pick though; that continues to go into a checked bag for the rural visits.

Back