The Holocaust Just Got More Shocking

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
THIRTEEN years ago, researchers at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum began the grim task of documenting all the ghettos, slave labor sites, concentration camps and killing factories that the Nazis set up throughout Europe.

What they have found so far has shocked even scholars steeped in the history of the Holocaust.

The researchers have cataloged some 42,500 Nazi ghettos and camps throughout Europe, spanning German-controlled areas from France to Russia and Germany itself, during Hitler’s reign of brutality from 1933 to 1945.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/sunday-review/the-holocaust-just-got-more-shocking.html?_r=0

Unreal.

I saw that yesterday. I don't remeber what the multiepisode documentary was i watched about those work camps/pow but it made me cry to even watch that monstrosity.

I knew folks who were US air crws during WWII, and they were required to visit the camps so that there were enough people with first hand knowlwedge that it occurred to avoid having deniers. They said it was the most horrifying thing they'd seen and bought home how it was worth all the deaths to defeat this sort of evil.

It is truly unfathomable that there would be enough participants to get genocide to that level. I watched a show whereh holocausthistorians faced the managment of VW, Porsche, etc. Companies that made money during Hitler's reign by building machinery and buildings to support the holocaust and came out of WW2 solvent and profitable. Of course, they denied any knowing participation, but someone had to design and build those brick and mortar buildings, oven, etc. They had to be aware fo the purpose. It's just unbelievable.

I find it amazing the degree to which people will delude themselves thinking "It couldn't possibly be used for that.". My guess is that they managed to convince themselves that the purposes for that stuff was something much more benign. Whether they were consciously aware of it or not, they were lying to themselves.

I had a guy I did my MBA with who was about my age, originally from Germany, and I asked him this same question, he said that basically from what he remembers in school they just don't spend that much time on history all together.. And when they do they cover it in 200 year gaps and gap out the part where they tried to exterminate an entire race.... He said everyone knows what happened was evil and somewhere some decided that it was not not talked about...

I find it amazing the degree to which people will delude themselves thinking "It couldn't possibly be used for that.". My guess is that they managed to convince themselves that the purposes for that stuff was something much more benign. Whether they were consciously aware of it or not, they were lying to themselves.

I think a lot of it was fear, too. They saw what was happening to those who didn't get with the program.

Still, that kind of knowledge, and knowing you didn't do anything about it have to weigh heavy on your soul. I bet the suicide rate was astronomical.

Back