The Coldest Case ever Solved in US

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That story was messed up.

It's 2013...and my kid is one to go play out in the neighborhood. He's run in, grabbed something, headed back out. These stories are the ones that make you think, "Am I sure I want him doing that?" Short answer is yes, but it doesn't take away the worry.

Agreed. Both of my kids are the "we're going to go see if <insert friend's name> can go play" type and can disappear for hours. They know that if they ask to play with someone, they are only allowed to go straight there, and then come straight back home. We've also developed quite an extensive phone tree so if we send our kids out, we text the parents to let them know. Still doesn't keep you from worrying though...

Agreed. Both of my kids are the "we're going to go see if <insert friend's name> can go play" type and can disappear for hours. They know that if they ask to play with someone, they are only allowed to go straight there, and then come straight back home. We've also developed quite an extensive phone tree so if we send our kids out, we text the parents to let them know. Still doesn't keep you from worrying though...
This is the part that wont work so well for us...other than the neighbors grandkid that lives with them it will be at least a mile to the next kid minisnicks age that would be in his class.

We do that too..."If you're headed to Laura's house, I expect you to be at Laura's house." He's really good about checking in if they want to migrate to another kid's house.

I don't think we've had him go play with a kid in his class. It's mostly older kids (3-4 years older), which he gets along with.

I will say that we know EVERYONE on our block. We have frequent block parties, celebrate holidays together, and just hang-out quite a bit. We are always watching out for each-others' kids. There are days when we have half the kids on our block playing at our house, and also times when we will go almost all day without seeing our own kids, but we all know where are own kids are the whole time. It really is one of those "it takes a neighborhood to raise a child" kind of places. We are very lucky to have this for our kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back