That's How They Get You

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Uncanny Pompadour
Reaction score
So I got a muffin this morning from the corner store. Tasted like sawdust. Decided to read the nutritional information on the package:

Calories 220

Fat calories 110

Total fat 13g (19% rdv)

Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% rdv)

Cholesterol 35mg (12% rdv)

Serving size: about 1/3 muffin

Servings per container: 3 !!!!

Dear Lord, I'm having a coronary right now.

Oh yeah, you have to watch those serving sizes. I was looking at some meat at the grocery store last night, the serving size was 2 ounces. TWO friking ounces? That's a taste, not a serving.

At least they stopped the soft drink companies from saying a 12 ounce can was 1.5 servings, if you buy a bottle (anything larger than 12 oz) the serving size gets smaller. Usually 8 ounces.

Salsa is the worst. A regular jar of salsa has something like 35 servings in it.

Pam cooking spray used to have a label on it (it might still, haven't looked recently) that said "0% Fat" even though Pam is 100% fat. They used a loophole in FDA nutritional information guidelines that said something like if the fat content of a serving is a very small percentage of the recommended daily value (like <0.01% or something), you could go ahead and call it 0% fat. Well, the "serving size" of Pam is tiny, so the fat content was also tiny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also seen deli meat say "95% fat free", yet when you look at the calories per serving, it is 60 calories with 15 of those from fat.

I'm pretty good at math, and know that 15 of 60 is 25% fat. So how do they advertise 95% fat free? Because by weight, the fat only weighs 5% of what they are selling, and all the salt water injected into the deli meat makes up the rest.

Complete, and utter bullshiat.

I had a Magner's Irish Cider at the pub the other night.

There's nutritional information on the side of the bottle. I couldn't really read it, but I think that's awesome and probably completely counteracts the coronary embellism I bought this morning.

Salsa is the worst. A regular jar of salsa has something like 35 servings in it.
But I think most salsa is relatively low in calories, and has almost no fat. Of course it is basically pure sodium, and may have significant sugar. You can't eat a ton of it but I think it is a reasonable substitute for salad dressings.

But generally it goes on top of something bad.

I've also seen deli meat say "95% fat free", yet when you look at the calories per serving, it is 60 calories with 15 of those from fat.
I'm pretty good at math, and know that 15 of 60 is 25% fat. So how do they advertise 95% fat free? Because by weight, the fat only weighs 5% of what they are selling, and all the salt water injected into the deli meat makes up the rest.

Mmmm...injected salt water...

So I got a muffin this morning from the corner store. Tasted like sawdust. Decided to read the nutritional information on the package:
Calories 220

Fat calories 110

Total fat 13g (19% rdv)

Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% rdv)

Jebus! That's one hell of an unhealthy muffin....

Seriously, I thought I heard some story on the radio recently that the FDA had issued new rules to cut down on abuse of the "serving size" loophole.

Calories 220

Fat calories 110

Total fat 13g (19% rdv)

Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% rdv)

Jebus! That's one hell of an unhealthy muffin....

Seriously, I thought I heard some story on the radio recently that the FDA had issued new rules to cut down on abuse of the "serving size" loophole.
^^ Aren't you in charge of the FDA now or something. You need to lay down the MFin law.

I'm pretty sure they don't inject salt water into the meat. Saline solution maybe.... but salt water? C'mon. ;)

^^ Aren't you in charge of the FDA now or something. You need to lay down the MFin law.
Nah, I'm mostly a Clean Water Act guy. Send me your latest treatment plant design and then we'll talk about the MF'in law....

The one's I hate are those like Pop Tarts or those Nature's Valley granola bars that have 2 bars in the package but the serving size is one. I can see eating only one pop tart, but there is no way I'm only eating one of those granola bars.

The one's I hate are those like Pop Tarts or those Nature's Valley granola bars that have 2 bars in the package but the serving size is one. I can see eating only one pop tart, but there is no way I'm only eating one of those granola bars.
Those things terrify me. They're so hard to chew, I'm always scared that I'll crack off the fake half of my front tooth (collegiate beer bottle/exercise ball incident.)

Those things terrify me. They're so hard to chew, I'm always scared that I'll crack off the fake half of my front tooth (collegiate beer bottle/exercise ball incident.)
That sounds like a funny story!

That sounds like a funny story!

Nothing crazy. I was mid-drink from a bottle when a 36" exercise ball comes directly at me. Hit the bottle, and heard the inevitable "tink" when glass met tooth. One little feel of the tongue revealed a very sharp edge. One look in the mirror revealed a triangle where there once stood a square.

The best serving sizes are on the sides of cracker boxes. I think a Cheezit serving size is 27 crackers. like I'm gonna count it out.

I eat those NV granola bars like its my job. We get a package every week from the old Stop & Shop. I like the apple cinnamon ones the best.

What's the muffin law state?
I think it's Arkansas, or maybe Oklahoma. I get my state nicknames confused.

I like to eat those nature's valley granola bars by smashing them up and putting them in my yogurt. In those cases, I only eat one bar at a time :)

Back