Tesla turns a profit

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
By Silicon Valley standards, 10-year-old Tesla Motors is middle-aged. But in the world of automotive startups, it’s just crossed a threshold few fledgling companies ever get near: profitability. Late last night California time — in time to make it clear this was no April Fools joke — the company announced it has delivered 4750 cars in the first quarter and expected to report an accounting profit when it announces its official results next month. While the company’s vehicles lack engines, in the past 6 months, it’s begun to hit on all cylinders:

• Shipments of the Model S sedan begin late last year with 2400 delivered in the fourth quarter. The company nearly doubled that in the next 3 months.
  • Tesla launched its high-speed “Supercharger” charging stations, which allow recharging half the battery pack in about 30 minutes. Last week, it announced plans to expand the network in the Pacific northwest, Texas, Illinois, and Florida, while improving coverage in the initial regions in the northeast and California.
  • The company announced a plan to pay back its Department of Energy loan 5 yearsahead of schedule, by the end of 2017. This $465 million loan, part of the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Program, was essential to the launch of the Model S and came at a time when Tesla’s future was very much in doubt.
More: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/04/01/exiting-the-red-zone-tesla-turns-its-first-profit-and-looks-to-go-long/

My wife's dream car is a Maroon Model S. I believe she has plans within her budget to put a down payment on one next summer (2014).

I think the one y'all were looking at has been discontinued (the lowest level battery pack, IIRC).

^That's a prototype, it is still up in the air if the 'falcon doors' make the production line.

Back