student kills apparent burglar with sword

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
if we could only get all these samurai swords off the street then we the burglars would be safe!

(CNN) -- A Johns Hopkins University student killed an apparent burglar with a samurai sword after discovering the man in his garage, police said Tuesday.

Baltimore, Maryland, police received a phone call shortly before 1:30 a.m. Tuesday about a suspicious person, and an off-duty officer arrived at the scene with campus security, city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

When authorities arrived, they heard calls for help and for police, he said. They discovered a suspected burglar with a severed left hand and severe lacerations to his upper body, Guglielmi said.

The suspect died at the scene, he said.

The man had entered a home where several Johns Hopkins students lived, Guglielmi said. Four students, one armed with a samurai sword, had confronted the suspect in the garage.

The man "lunged" at the students, and the student with the sword defended himself, severing the man's left hand and cutting his upper body, Guglielmi said.

Police did not release the name of the suspect, who Guglielmi said had a long criminal history, or that of the student.

Police questioned the three witnesses, Guglielmi said, and released them. It was not immediately clear whether all four students lived at the house, he said.

Authorities are determining whether the student will face criminal charges, Guglielmi said.

Burglars had taken two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the students' home Monday, Guglielmi said.

The burglary suspect had been released from prison Saturday, Guglielmi said.

This is awesome and sad at the same time.

Awesome for defense rights etc. and sad that an alleged thief would meet his end stealing such petty things.

That must be a pretty sharp sword.... to take a hand off like that, unless the student was really hacking away with it.

Maybe he is a ninjaneer*? :ph34r:

*[SIZE=8pt]just kidding; a real ninjaneer wouldn't get caught[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he is a ninjaneer*? :ph34r:

*[SIZE=8pt]just kidding; a real ninjaneer wouldn't get caught[/SIZE]

No. A ninjaneer has no need to defend himself, because he attacks silently.

What's sad is that from my understanding of the article is that the guy breaking in was released from prison on Saturday, and by 1AM on Tuesday morning, not even 48 hours after release, he's breaking in.

Sounds to me like he got a similar punnishment as to what they "hand" out in Singapore. Steal... Lose a hand. Only there's no one there to cauterize the wound, so the dumbass died.

What's sad is that from my understanding of the article is that the guy breaking in was released from prison on Saturday, and by 1AM on Tuesday morning, not even 48 hours after release, he's breaking in.
[SIZE=14pt]EXACTLY[/SIZE]. we need accountability for judges and parole boards. this sort of shit happens way too often. if blood is on anyone's hands because of this, it's theirs.

If you steal, then you should get your hand cut off. Just ask the nice folks in Saudi Arabia all about it.

I'd say the man guarding his home acted even-handedly.

I would put my hands together to welcome him, you know, to give him a hand up. I have to hand it to him, the guy knows how to use a sword.

I'd say the man guarding his home acted even-handedly.
I would put my hands together to welcome him, you know, to give him a hand up. I have to hand it to him, the guy knows how to use handle a sword.
Handled that for you.

The authories usually have to say "are determining if charges should be pressed" even if it unlikely, I mean you sort of have to figure out what went on first before you can decide not to press charges. What is giving them pause (I assume) is that 4 people confronted 1 unarmed assailant.

In many states you need to prove you felt life was threatened before using deadly force, you can't just use "I was pissed off from being robbed and he was on my property" as your defense. No matter how much you want to.

In oklahoma, if he's in your house, and you reasonably fear he's going to use any degree of force against you, he's toast.

^ The same is true for at least one address in Northern Illinois. Wisdom passed on to me from my father: "Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six."

In oklahoma, if he's in your house, and you reasonably fear he's going to use any degree of force against you, he's toast.
I always though that in OK you were allowed to drag the corpse 6 feet to get it into your house.

I had a weird room mate in college. I knew he was "different", but I was in a jam, waited til the last second to look for a place to live, so I had no choice. One day, near the end of the month, he spent his rent money ($300) at the medieval convention...on a samurai sword. I thought he was dumb for that, but when you think about it, no license needed, no background check, just $$$ is all you need. And you have a CQC weapon.

Nevertheless, I'll stick to my H&K.

Back