Sports jerseys and Memorabilia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexman PE PMP

Internationally PMP'n his PE-ness
Reaction score
Which do you think is the bigger "crime", selling counterfeit sports jerseys, or selling "authentic" jerseys for $200+ a pop?

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8900519/nfl-us-government-score-record-bust-fake-jerseys

I bought my wife a Tebow jersey for Xmas 2010. I only paid ~$30 for it from some random small store that claimed to be in Florida, but it was a higher-end looking jersey with sewn on lettering and numbers, and wasn't one of the screen printed ones I was finding for $100 through websites like nfl.com (the sewn "authentic" ones were sold out but were originally priced at $200+). Mrs Dex loves the jersey, it fits fine, no issues with it going through the washing machine, and everything is spelled correctly (common problem with knock-offs).

Thoughts?

I'm about quality in my jersey...if it's sewn on and correctly made I don't worry about who made it!...now faking a star's autograph and selling it as something authentic I find to be completely different

Buy the $30 jersey and donate the other $170 to a charity that reaches out to mentor young people. Maybe that way we can get kids some real role models instead of sports stars.

I've bought several jerseys from overseas places that are "authentic". They are good embroidered quality IMO and worth the $30 or $40. I think $200 is way too high for what the NFL already brings in annually.

I can't stand the screen print jerseys, they peel and are a waste in my opinion
:plusone:

I wouldn't spend any more than $15 on a t-shirt, and it better be a dang good one for that. I usually don't go over $7 for one.

And, yeah, a jersey is a glorified t-shirt.

They are seriously getting that kind of coin for those things?

they have gotten crazy with the cost of jerseys...and they have some gimmick about some that say they are game worn, but I believe they have try on parties or something cause most of them look brand new...

^^^ Many jerseys worn in a game are replaced weekly (or so I've been told), so they're worn only a couple of times, which is why they always look new.

Edit: I guess many game-worn jerseys are not washed...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never cared to own or wear a jersey, aside from the money I kind of believe that men should not wear a football jersey with some other dudes name on it... Kind if creepy...

I think chics look good in a baseball players jersey... But when I go to NFl games I generally wear a t/shirt or team sweatshirt..

I do wear my high school football jersey to work on Fridays though.... ;)

hockey games are filled with almost everyone in a jersey or team related item. Although the generic team jerseys are cheaper than a specific player jersey.

I have a tshirt and hoodie. Minisnick has a basic jersey from target, it was like $15. Mr snick just tries to wear team colors.

I've only paid "full price" for a few jerseys. Most of the ones I've purchased were from the clearance racks at the sporting goods stores or via those knock-off websites. I typically don't wear them very much and most of the ones I've purchased have been donated to goodwill.

My family seems to have a curse on having a jersey. Anytime I've bought a jersey, that player "goes away" within a year, whether it's through injury (Ed McCaffrey Peter Forsberg, Terrel Davis), retirement (Patrick Roy, Bill Romonowski) or trade (Tebow, Mike Ricci). I've owned several others that fit this same mold, I just can't seem to remember their names anymore (mostly hockey players).

Knowing that this curse exists is the exact reason I bought my wife the Tebow jersey. I didn't like him as a QB and wanted him gone, so I got her a jersey for Xmas, and he was gone by March.

I kind of believe that men should not wear a football jersey with some other dudes name on it... Kind if creepy...

I've always felt the same way. Since no one else seemed to mind it, I thought it was a personal hangup. Still think it ain't right.

Glad to see I'm not alone.

I've only paid "full price" for a few jerseys. Most of the ones I've purchased were from the clearance racks at the sporting goods stores or via those knock-off websites. I typically don't wear them very much and most of the ones I've purchased have been donated to goodwill.

My family seems to have a curse on having a jersey. Anytime I've bought a jersey, that player "goes away" within a year, whether it's through injury (Ed McCaffrey Peter Forsberg, Terrel Davis), retirement (Patrick Roy, Bill Romonowski) or trade (Tebow, Mike Ricci). I've owned several others that fit this same mold, I just can't seem to remember their names anymore (mostly hockey players).

Knowing that this curse exists is the exact reason I bought my wife the Tebow jersey. I didn't like him as a QB and wanted him gone, so I got her a jersey for Xmas, and he was gone by March.

Last jersey I bought, I was a teenager in high school. Bought the Adrian Murrell jersey instead of Curtis Martin. He was traded to Arizona before the season even started.

Back