Soaring Bike Highway Proposed In London

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
If any city is primed for a bicycle revolution, it’s London. The population is expected to keep exploding and citizens will likely continue living longer, contributing to strains on public transportation. Enter bicycle enthusiasts with a big vision. Hat tip to Inhabitat’s Lucy Wang.

The elevated SkyCycle plan emerged from the architectural firms Foster + Partners and Exterior Architecture, and the urban planning consulting group Space Syntax. They call for more than 136 miles (220 kilometers) of car-free cycling routes that would follow suburban railway lines around London originally built for steam trains. This new highway could be accessed at more than 200 spots, handle 12,000 cyclists an hour and slice nearly half an hour off regular commute times.

London’s railway lines were built to follow contours that avoid steep gradients and naturally reduce energy output, the group explained in their proposal. Londoners need a safer way for bicyclists to get around the city, too. Cycling deaths have risen over the past several years, including a seriously bad stretch last November.
http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/soaring-bike-highway-proposed-in-london-140103.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess they could raise it. I'm sure they've found something to squander the current charges on already.

As an aside, I was on a webinar regarding an eight story apt building in London built of wood, and was told any apartment building built in London was required to have half of the building dedicated for the equivalent of section eight housing.

Do you know how much an apartment costs in London? You and I would have to be in Section 8 if we lived there. We're talking about $1000/week rent or $1 million to buy for a two-bedroom.

^That's my point. How would you like to be dropping a cool 4K a month on your flat and have a bunch of rotters living next door for free?

^If you ever see me in London, call the cops, or bobbies, cuz I've been kidnapped.

There is absolutely, no freaking way in he11 I could live there (or any big city).

Back