Sidewalks to nowhere

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessarily although one would think that the issue should be resolved prior to placement of the second piece. The article says the first piece was in the wrong place. If the second guy was contractually required to finish his work or face penalties, and he was sure he was correct, then I can see him authorizing the placement and let the first guy fix it.

Without question, someone screwed up. I'd be intersted in seeing how this turns out.

Not necessarily although one would think that the issue should be resolved prior to placement of the second piece.
Bingo!

For the love of God, when you see something like this, fix it before you both look like clowns. And the second guy looks like more of a clown because he saw it and still did the poor.

"It is an issue for the surveyor and contractor for the Wellesley subdivision."
damn surveyors :brick:

Last edited by a moderator:
From someone who deals with both School Districts and Developers I can tell you both can be total pains in the ass and uncooperative to deal with, lack of communication is the understatement of the century when it comes to these guys.. I can totally see this happening....

Did you all read the important part?

D.R. Horton's construction superintendent then said his team built the sidewalk within a community easement and had followed its survey correctly. The opening for the sidewalk on the school's side was supposed to be where the orange ribbon can be seen in the picture, he said.

The triangle to the left of the sidewalk on the Wellesley side is on someone's lot.

The only way, according to the builder, to alleviate the situation is if the district curves its sidewalk towards the community's walkway.

It turns out the builder was correct.
If the contractor builds outside the easement and on someone's lot (even though it looks good), guess who's going to have to a) pay to have both sides moved or B) deal with eminent domain. I don't blame the contractor for anything other than poor PR skills.

"It is an issue for the surveyor and contractor for the Wellesley subdivision."
damn surveyors :brick:
And a few paragraphs down:

In an emailed statement, a spokesperson for D.R. Horton said company officials spoke with a school administrator who agreed with the builder's assessment of the situation.
Oops... who'd of thought when the school district quickly said "it's not our fault" that they'd turn out to be wrong"?

Did you all read the important part?

D.R. Horton's construction superintendent then said his team built the sidewalk within a community easement and had followed its survey correctly. The opening for the sidewalk on the school's side was supposed to be where the orange ribbon can be seen in the picture, he said.

The triangle to the left of the sidewalk on the Wellesley side is on someone's lot.

The only way, according to the builder, to alleviate the situation is if the district curves its sidewalk towards the community's walkway.

It turns out the builder was correct.
If the contractor builds outside the easement and on someone's lot (even though it looks good), guess who's going to have to a) pay to have both sides moved or B) deal with eminent domain. I don't blame the contractor for anything other than poor PR skills.
DR Horton has a pretty bad reputation, from what I've heard. If they told me the sky was blue, I'd damn sure get a second opinion.

I think that every time I see their name in print.

The builder of a community adjacent to a Midlands school has offered to correct the school district's mistake when building a sidewalk that was supposed to connect the neighborhood to school grounds.
/>http://www.wistv.com/story/20494766/builder-offers-to-fix-school-districts-sidewalk-to-nowhere

We should outlaw concrete so this never happens at a school again.

Sincerely,

Pelosi

I tyhink we should budget for counseling for the traumatized youngsters who walk the sidewalk right into the fence, are scarred for life, and will not be able to walk on a sidewalk ever again without flasbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tyhink we should budget for counseling for the traumatized youngsters who walk the sidewalk right into the fence, are scarred for life, and will not be able to walk on a sidewalk ever again without flasbacks.
How much you bet that someone will walk that path an deliberately run into the fence and then sue both parties for damages?

^^^ Pretty sure it fails to meet ADA requirements. All it takes is one person in a wheel chair (and they wouldn't even need to run into the fence)...

Back