SFFD Bans Helmet Cams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A San Francisco Fire Department ban on video cameras now explicitly includes helmet-mounted devices that film emergency scenes, according to Chief Joanne Hayes-White.

The edict comes after images taken in the aftermath of the July 6 Asiana Airlines crash at the San Francisco airport led to questions about first responders' actions, which resulted in a survivor being run over by a fire truck.

Hayes-White told the San Francisco Chronicle (http://bit.ly/16zguEN ) she is concerned about the privacy of victims and firefighters.

"There comes a time that privacy of the individual is paramount, of greater importance than having a video," she said.

The footage recorded by Battalion Chief Mark Johnson's helmet camera shows a Fire Department truck running over 16-year-old Ye Meng Yuan while she was lying on the tarmac covered with fire-retardant foam.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/after-airliner-crash-sf-chief-bans-helmet-cams

CYA trumps training from lessons learned in Kali.

FAIL.

We have things we won't discuss via e-mail, because the lawyers might get it. We have projects we won't look at, because we know the lawyers would find out we looked, didn't fix, and now we're liable. I'm imagining the SFFD isn't worried about individual privacy...they are worried about the lawyers.

^I get that, but such videos are valuable training tools for firefighters.

They shouldn't be released to the general public, in most cases, but , yeah, the lawyers are the main driver here.

Just like it's valuable for engineers to gather info, but sometimes we're told not to because we might find a problem that we can't fund immediately. It's the same thing- no one's allowed to find a problem, because we might not be able to fix it and we might get sued. It would be nice to be able to gather info again with no problems.

Totally not right. I'm also sick of knee-jerk reactions by management, but I can't really rant about that on the internet.

Working for a government agency makes it even more difficult, simply because there are laws in place that discuss what is/isn't allowed to remain confidential and what needs to be given out for "open records" inquirys.

I'm dealing with an FTA audit from hell because there are some "in progress" pictures of an area showing incomplete/non-conforming work because the pictures weren't filed with any context or official report.

Just like it's valuable for engineers to gather info, but sometimes we're told not to because we might find a problem that we can't fund immediately. It's the same thing- no one's allowed to find a problem, because we might not be able to fix it and we might get sued. It would be nice to be able to gather info again with no problems.
that's just wrong. document the unfunded need, prepare plans to fix it, be ready the next time the POTUS turns on the printing presses looking for places to put the monopoly money.

I'd say we're more liberal in gathering info than other states. We spent all of our magic money last time. Now we're scrambling to put another whole construction season on the shelf "just in case."

Back