Section 8 can't keep pace with local rent

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I wonder if this is happening on a nationwide basis, as more folks go towards apartments, or if it just a local thing

"The section 8 housing authority is unable to accept our market rents, therefore we have no choice but terminate tenancies. We are not evicting the residents."

"So they've given the tenants 60 days notice."

Nancy Stoudenmier with the Housing Authority says The Club apartments asked the city to assist with rent after making renovations to the complex.

"What's happening at the Club at Carolina Stadium, the rent is going up to $1018 and we cannot pay those rents," said Stoudenmier.
http://www.wltx.com/news/national/article/225308/2/Tenancy-Terminated-67-Residents-Must-Find-New-Apartment

I'm sure paying customers aren't overjoyed to be living next to Section 8 housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
how is giving them 60 days to find another place not an eviction? Pay up or pack up is eviction in my books.

They're asying that it's not the apartment complex that's driving their situation and the apartment complex is not singling out the Section 8 people and evicting them. It is a global rent increase for improved conditions. If they can pay....then they can stay. True they will be "evicted" for non-payemnt, but they aren't being "evicted" with no option to stay. There is a difference, even though the end result will be the same.

Would you rather the government increase the subsidy?

no i don't think they should up the subsidy. BUt at the same time, unless sect 8 housing is a month to month lease, it might very well be I have no clue, they need to honor the rent for the duration of the rental agreement and at the end of the lease they can say pay up or move out.

no i don't think they should up the subsidy. BUt at the same time, unless sect 8 housing is a month to month lease, it might very well be I have no clue, they need to honor the rent for the duration of the rental agreement and at the end of the lease they can say pay up or move out.

it looks like it is up to the tenant/landlord to decide that.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/programs/hcv/about/fact_sheet

That being the case, I'd wager that it is a month to month. if I was the apartment manager, that's what I'd go for.

basically yep. Your monthly rent depends on your income and the gov pays the difference up to a ceratin amount each month. There are some sect 8 housing by us that requires community service hrs.

Wasn't Klinger on M*A*S*H always trying to be classified as "Section 8"

Back