School Lunches

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudgey

Master of Disaster
Reaction score
During my tenure in the public school system I ate few things for lunch. I'm not always big on cafeteria-style food so I didn't often eat all that many different things. But one thing I ate often, up until about the middle of my sophomore year was the breaded "chicken" "patty" sandwich on a bun. I don't know what happened that year but after eating it I just felt.. ill. Not that it was bad and got food poisioning but it just didn't sit right with me.

Ever since then I've not been able to eat a chicken patty sandwich again. I can't even look at a chicken patty without wanting to throw up. I think, though, in the long run that isn't all that bad a thing.

Fudgey:

Are you sure it was a "chicken" patty? Did it have the yellow-greenish "gravy" or was it brown "gravy"? That's how we used to identify the breaded patties we affectionately referred to as "mystery meat" Yellow gravy was chicken and brown gravy was veal. I believe there was a third meat that was ground to a pulp, formed to a patty, breaded, and deep fried but I forget what it was. This third type typically shared the brown gravy with the veal. Can't say it ever made me physically ill, but sometime I got psychology ill thinking about how the ground chicken likely included the beaks, claws, and that little flappy thing that chickens grow on top of thier heads.

Thanks for reviving the memories of school cafeterias all the way through college.

Dont ever say anything bad about school lunches!!! I loved school lunch. I swear I would go to a school right now and eat lunch if I could. Ohh the rectangular pizza, taco boats, chicken sandwiches....Damn Im hungry now.

During my tenure in the public school system I ate few things for lunch. I'm not always big on cafeteria-style food so I didn't often eat all that many different things. But one thing I ate often, up until about the middle of my sophomore year was the breaded "chicken" "patty" sandwich on a bun. I don't know what happened that year but after eating it I just felt.. ill. Not that it was bad and got food poisioning but it just didn't sit right with me.
Ever since then I've not been able to eat a chicken patty sandwich again. I can't even look at a chicken patty without wanting to throw up. I think, though, in the long run that isn't all that bad a thing.
They had those 'chicken patties' in the dining halls at Rutgers... often they would be listed as Chicken Steaks. Sometimes, they would put a glob of sauce with some cheese and have the nerve to call it a Chicken Parm Sandwich. Those things were a staple of my diet (along with fries at every meal) for years.

I am glad to say I haven't had to eat one since, although I do get the McChicken sandwich which is basically the same thing, just with mayo and lettuce.

-Ray

Dont ever say anything bad about school lunches!!! I loved school lunch. I swear I would go to a school right now and eat lunch if I could. Ohh the rectangular pizza, taco boats, chicken sandwiches....Damn Im hungry now.
Taco boats!!!! Those were always my favorite. THe rectangular pizza wasn't too bad...but I remember friends dumping like 2 to 3 salt packets on the pizza.

I loved when they served hot dogs in my school. That was the event of the month. Here in the states it was normal. Talk about cultural differences.

Taco boats!!!! Those were always my favorite. THe rectangular pizza wasn't too bad...but I remember friends dumping like 2 to 3 salt packets on the pizza.
YES!!! Someone who knows what a taco boat is. I tried to explain to my wife the greatness of a taco boat and she just didnt get it. I would always fill up the boat with about 5 packets of hot sauce and devour it before the retaining shell got too soggy to hold in the meaty/cheesy goodness located within its crispy tortilla body.

Back in the day we played a game where we would gather up all the food people didnt eat at the lunch table. Then we would take an empty milk carton and cram as much of the food into it as possible. We would open the carton and see what kind of concoction we had crammed together. The deal was if you could eat the entire carton we would give that person $20 (a lot of middle school kid). We never even got someone to take a single bite. The teachers put a stop to this game pretty quickly though.

Taco day was my favorite. But we didn't get the crispy shells, just soft tortillas.

Taco day was my favorite. But we didn't get the crispy shells, just soft tortillas.
In our school district the taco boats ended in middle school...perhaps for saftey reasons as the taco boat could poke an eye if you got hit. The high schools had the soft tortillas, as well as all the lovely fried foods that they didn't offer to the younger groups. Elementary and middle school food was cooked at a central location and delivered to the school in a heated truck...Nothing like soggy baked french fries under a rectangular pizza.

I once knew a man from Morocco

whose motto was really quite macho

he said to be blunt

God decreed we eat ____

Why else would it look like a taco?

(stolen from J.Valby, aka Dr. Dirty circa 1980)

pinktaco.jpg

I remember being disgusted by goulash. Now I love it, but it took me years to overcome the horror created by school lunches.

I also worked in the dormitory cafeteria during my freshman year to make a few bucks. Let's just say that I didn't eat in the cafeteria for a REASON. You don't want to know what happens behind the stainless steel wall.

ugh.

They didn't even have Taco Boat's when I was going thru school.....That must have been before we had so many immigrants in this country....we didn't even have a Taco Bell in our area.

Back