Sand Dunes NP

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Throwing this out there, anyone been?  were looking at going down the fist weekend in June, but apparently that's the busiest time of the year.

we only have that weekend, just trying to tell if it would be mobbed ala "grand canyon" ?  Its 34 square miles so I cant imagine it gets that crowded, except for in the river / beach area?

Mainly I just need one more NP sign for my album :)

I've been there but it's been a LOOOOONG time.  My parents took the kids there last summer and had fun.

I went there a few times as a kid and loved it.  My favorite trip was going there as a junior high kid with our church youth group.  We escaped from camp and climbed to the highest dune in the moonlight one night, when the sand was still warm from the sun.  I highly recommend doing that if you go there - time it with a full moon.

We went a few years ago, it was pretty awesome.  We went after the creek had disappeared so the crowds were light.  Take your snowboards to the top of the big dune.  It makes a sound like a jet engine on the way down!  I've got an old junker board my kid rescued from a dumpster if you want to save getting sand in your bindings.

That's a cool valley there.  Huge.  We went to the alligator farm too, my daughter loved it.  There's a side hike to a waterfall that was pretty cool too, just watch out for boneheads hiking above kicking loose rocks, I had one shatter next to me and it cut a hole clean thru my kid's pant leg.

I've got this old Mountain Dew board?

Do I have to wear the boots or just use hiking shoes with the bindings?

We used hiking boots in the bindings.  The other board I have is a square back with soft boot bindings.  A product of dumpster diving.

Back