Safety factor assumed in exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I was working the NCEES Mechanical sample questions, machine design depth number 528. In the solution, they used a safety factor of 2, but no safety factor was specified in the problem.

In the exam, are we to assume a safety factor of 2 when asked the minimum thickness of shafts, etc.?

Also, can anyone confirm the cross sectional area of a 1/2"-13 UNC bolt is .142 in^2? They used that value foe problem 524, and I can't find that anywhere.

Also, can anyone confirm the cross sectional area of a 1/2"-13 UNC bolt is .142 in^2? They used that value foe problem 524, and I can't find that anywhere.
Machinery's Handbook, Table of Coarse-Thread Series, gives .1419 in^2

A quick and dirty method for calc. tensile dia. is Major Dia - 1/pitch. For example, for 1/2 -13, dia = .5 - 1/13 = .423. The area would then be pi * .423^2 / 4 = .141 in^2

Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers. Coarse Thread Series - UNC and NC

1/2 - 13 Stress Area = 0.1416 in^2

FWIW: If you don't already have one, I found a Mark's Handbook to be a great reference book on a pretty broad number of subjects. Kind of like the Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM) is for civil.

Machinery's Handbook, Table of Coarse-Thread Series, gives .1419 in^2
A quick and dirty method for calc. tensile dia. is Major Dia - 1/pitch. For example, for 1/2 -13, dia = .5 - 1/13 = .423. The area would then be pi * .423^2 / 4 = .141 in^2
Thanks for Q&D calc. Never heard of that, but I'll use it.

MA PE, no, I haven't gotten one, but I have heard there is a lot of good info in there.

Thanks for the info....anyone have any idea on the assumed safety factors? Maybe one of the NCEES guys?

For safety factors, I don't know how you could be expected to make an assumption if your answer depended on it. It could possibly be a distractor--the answers are so far apart that any reasonable SF would give the right "best answer". 2 is a reasonable SF if no other info is given. I've used SF as low as 1.5 and I know an engineer who designed elevators. Their SF was 7 or higher. If you are required to assume a SF, use "sound engineering judgement". Is safety or life at risk or is it a mere inconvenience if something breaks? Sorry I can't give a more definite answer.

Thanks for the info....anyone have any idea on the assumed safety factors? Maybe one of the NCEES guys?
I don't know of a single question on the exam that required you to assume on your own to apply a safety factor. My advice is to ignore safety factors unless specifically required by the question statement.

Edit: I can't speak for Mechanical, so please ignore my response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know of a single question on the exam that required you to assume on your own to apply a safety factor. My advice is to ignore safety factors unless specifically required by the question statement.
But at least one, and I think two problems in the NCEES Mechanical sample problems assumed a safety factor of two when asking something like "What is the minimum length of the key." I've noticed that in Lindeburg's sample problems and solutions as well.

But at least one, and I think two problems in the NCEES Mechanical sample problems assumed a safety factor of two when asking something like "What is the minimum length of the key." I've noticed that in Lindeburg's sample problems and solutions as well.
I'm sorry... I was thinking Civil not Mechanical and I don't have any experience in that. I'll change my previous response!

Back