Rotting dead whale washes up in Canadian town

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2014/apr/30/rotting-dead-whale-verge-exploding-canada-video

A dead blue whale washed into the Trout river in Newfoundland, Canada, is expanding and causing a stench as it slowly rots. Locals are concerned the 25-metre mammal may explode, as can happen when their carcasses are left to decay. The whale is likely to be one of a group that died several weeks ago in heavy ice

I saw an updated report that says now it may not explode.. if it does I imagine that would make a terrible mess! There she Blows!!!!

I would think a tug boat could haul it out to see and tie it to something and just let the fishes chew on it for a while.. that would be pretty cheap..

^^^ Assuming it stays in one piece as you try to get it off of the beach. Usually by the time it reaches the beach the body is already well into decomp and there isn't really anything "solid" to hook onto. If you wrapped a rope around the tail to pull from, you could very easily de-bone it...

reno-911.jpg

While I can't see that video here at work, just the one image of them with a single tow rope hooked around the tail is enough to figure out EXACTLY what happened, in what was surely a "hold my beer" kind of moment.

My plan was going to involve a steel reinforced canvas netting system like we used to use for sling loading HMMV's back in the day

^^^ Assuming it stays in one piece as you try to get it off of the beach. Usually by the time it reaches the beach the body is already well into decomp and there isn't really anything "solid" to hook onto. If you wrapped a rope around the tail to pull from, you could very easily de-bone it...
Did I call it? Not entirely a de-boning, but the overall concept was correct.

Back