Rocksmith 2014

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
I'm not a gamer, but one game I enjoy is guitar hero. Of course it gets a lot of flack because it's not really playing the instrument. Sure, I get that. Anyway, a friend of mine told me about Rocksmith. It's basically guitar hero but with a real electric guitar (not included in the game packaging). You plug your guitar into a device and it turns the real string strumming into the correct notes for the game. Other than that it is very similar to guitar hero, except it shows you the frets and strings. But apparently it really helps people learn to play a real guitar. Anybody else hear of this?

He's inviting me over this weekend to play it, if it's all it's cracked up to be, I might just buy it for the PC and borrow my father in law's guitar.

I've got it and so do a couple of guys at work. I think it is a lot of fun and my coworkers are all happy with the purchase. I had already played for several years back in high school, stopped in college, and so bought it to get back into playing. It has tutorials on different techniques like palm mute, tapping, slides, bends, etc. I already knew what these were but the tutorials are clear to follow if you've never played before.

It also got me to play a lot of different styles that I would have never played otherwise. If you want to play guitar, look at it this way: the game is $50, the cost of one lesson so that is all you are out.

We have Rocksmith 2014 for the Xbox 360. It has built in lessons as well, so one can learn to play a guitar. I have gotten pretty good playing solo or with my son on some of the songs. Some I sound good playing along with the game and background music, but then If I play without the game it doesn't sound so good. Some of the notes aren't played real well to trigger a good note hit in the game, so my playing sound is all over the place without the game. It is a good start and fun.

I recommend it!! You will walk away from the game with skills that you won't have from guitar hero.

It is cheaper than lessons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just overheard some guitar lesson guys at the music store talk about how terrible it is, which probably means it is cutting into their business!
It isn't going to teach you "how to play the guitar" like a lot of the "serious musicians" consider playing. It doesn't have anything in it about theory or chord progressions, how to compose songs but it will teach you how to play songs(the included tracks)/notes/chords and techniques. Everyone I know who isn't stuck up about "being a real guitar player" loves it.

ask wolvie. i think he has it.
Hate.

I just overheard some guitar lesson guys at the music store talk about how terrible it is, which probably means it is cutting into their business!
Hate.

It isn't going to teach you "how to play the guitar" like a lot of the "serious musicians" consider playing. It doesn't have anything in it about theory or chord progressions, how to compose songs but it will teach you how to play songs(the included tracks)/notes/chords and techniques. Everyone I know who isn't stuck up about "being a real guitar player" loves it.
Hate.

Anything that teaches you to play guitar using any program other than sitting in a darkened room for 15 hours a day for 30 years strumming until your fingers bleed is clearly a tool of the devil. Shun it.

Except for YouTube, that's cool. Wish we'd had that when I was a kid - I would be soooo much better. I had to learn "Eruption" the hard way - with a photo-copied Guitar Player Magazine article and a handheld cassette tape player.

Q: Hey how many guitar players does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: 100. . . .1 to do it, and 99 to say "Yeah, whatever, I could do that."

(Confession: I'm terrrible at Guitar Hero)

I would think if it could teach you to play enough to sit around the campfire and play a few eagles song that would work...

Back