RIP, light bulb

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
(CNN) -- It lit up the world and showed us all our way. It served presidents, princes, and paupers with equal alacrity. It brought the writings of Yeats, Joyce, Rowling, and Trudeau to millions of bed-readers, and helped countless people around the world avoid stubbing their toes in the dark.

And now, it is no more.

Farewell, traditional light bulb. As the clock strikes midnight, the light dims on your reign as the mechanical illuminator of human existence.

Rest in peace.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/31/us/light-bulb-obit/

As light bulbs in our house have burned out I've been replacing them with LED's and I have to say I'm pretty happy with them. Sure they cost a boatload more, but I'm hoping they'll last a lot longer. I like the LED's a lot better than the CFL's. The LED's come on full brightness right away and are dimmable.

I read an article before the new year that said that many stores such as Home Depot or Lowes estimate that they have about a six month supply of incandescent bulbs so if you really really don't want to make the switch you need to stock up before June.

I stocked up on 100W before the ban. I don't really use lesser W except in fan lights.

With the improvements to the GE energy smart CFLs in terms of size and color, I don't see much use in the incandescents, except the few fixtures that are still to small for the CFLs (and I don't think I have any of those left).

They still don't make 100W equivalent LEDs though....

also in that bill...prohibiting the post office from stopping saturday delivery. When then when they can't come up with another cost saving measure because you don't like the one they proposed they maybe you need to rethink the 75 yr pension funding requirement...can't have it both ways

also in that bill...prohibiting the post office from stopping saturday delivery. When then when they can't come up with another cost saving measure because you don't like the one they proposed they maybe you need to rethink the 75 yr pension funding requirement...can't have it both ways

Yup.

As light bulbs in our house have burned out I've been replacing them with LED's and I have to say I'm pretty happy with them. Sure they cost a boatload more, but I'm hoping they'll last a lot longer. I like the LED's a lot better than the CFL's. The LED's come on full brightness right away and are dimmable.

I read an article before the new year that said that many stores such as Home Depot or Lowes estimate that they have about a six month supply of incandescent bulbs so if you really really don't want to make the switch you need to stock up before June.
They won't.

The might last longer than incandescents but you won't get a money return on them.

Back