Report: More trees could be cut for biomass plants

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
A new report says Southern forests are at risk from biomass plants that burn wood to make energy.

The report, released Tuesday by two environmental groups, says the expanding biomass industry will look at cutting trees to fuel the power plants, a departure from the current practice of using waste wood from sawmills and other sources.

The report raises questions about whether the South will have an adequate supply of waste wood, thereby increasing the need to cut trees specifically for biomass plants.

More at: http://www.thestate....l#disqus_thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say, the article definitly avoids discussing the advantages and benefits, does not mention the research that has gone into establishing best managment procedures, and also fails to mention that both of the groups that paid for this report have very conservative environmental agendas...

The Southern Environmental Law Center has a much better versed summary of the issues at hand here on their web page

http://www.southernenvironment.org/cases/biomass_energy_in_the_south

Most biomass research crops have been rapid growing woody plants that when harvested re-grow at quick intervals and in larger quanities. At this point in time, we also have a surplus of timber...

I don't see our National Forest being threatened by the increase of biomass fuels... especially not in the south. And that seems to be the actual issue in the law case. (not that my opinion matters but, eh)

that kinda sounds like it's a whole other issue...
There were all sorts of issues with that plant. I can't recall if it was in that article or not, but nobody thought about the logistics of how they were going to fuel this thing. With no place to store the waste, a constant stream of dump trucks (two an hour, IIRC) would be streaming back and forth between this plant and the biomass source, 40 miles away. There isn't any place to store a good quantity of it on site.

if you have ever been to south georgia they have more trees than you could shake a stick at (literally)

Yeah, I used to do the Warner Robins AFB to Eglin AFB run once a month from 1993-1995. Trees aplenty. And I loved all those small towns I passed through.

We could ship the beetle killed wood from Colorado. They just chip it up and waste most of it. How would that be for cost effective?

You'd think it would be good for 2x4's at a minimum.

Most biomass research crops have been rapid growing woody plants that when harvested re-grow at quick intervals and in larger quanities. At this point in time, we also have a surplus of timber...
In terms of the productive use of the resource, despite having a surplus, do you believe that it's highest beneficial use is for use as a fuel in a boiler to produce electricity?

I don't see our National Forest being threatened by the increase of biomass fuels... especially not in the south. And that seems to be the actual issue in the law case. (not that my opinion matters but, eh)
Your opinion not only matters but is more informative given your education and background. Just sayin' ....

In terms of the productive use of the resource, despite having a surplus, do you believe that it's highest beneficial use is for use as a fuel in a boiler to produce electricity?
Honestly, I think the best case scenario would be to utilize the technology in locations that it would have the most economical benefit. I have literally seen piles of woodchips sit until the they self combust from the decay process. Wouldn't it have it been better to have used that as a fuel in a boiler to produce electricity rather than having to deal with a smoldering pile of wood chips.

The situation that Cpt brought up was far from ideal and it sounds like it was a disaster before it was ever built. I think that it's unfortunate, because alternative energy options already have a bad name with MOST intelligent, logically thinking people (at least those who haven't jumped on the 'go green bandwagon'). To answer your question, at this point in time... no it isn't... but if we don't start looking at different technologys, we won't ever know if it ever could be the best use for it... or at least an efficient use.

I would imagine that the best location for these types of plants would be in fairly remote upland platue areas, with an abundance of local fuel and that have a lower power usage. Unfortunatly, the technology is probably still too expensive to be economically feasible yet... because lets admit it, who wants to spend millions of dollars so a po-dunk town can have an alternative fuel electrical plant and possibly be self-contained...

Your opinion not only matters but is more informative given your education and background. Just sayin' ....
Awwwww... :blush2: ... but remember... I only learned how to manage the resources to meet the goals of the people who own them... I'm not supposed to tell them what their goals should be.

On a side note... wouldn't it be really cool if a gym decided to 'go green' and try to take the energy produced by the customers on the treadmills, elipticals, and rowers in order to produce their own electricty to run off of? lmao... I'm such a dork.

Back