Ranch houses stage a comeback

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
One of the nation’s most common home styles, ranches sprouted up by the millions across America’s new suburban landscape after World War II to feed an insatiable hunger for middle-class housing.

The ranch is a real love-it-or-hate-it style. While many consider them outdated and too small, others say ranches could be just the ticket for baby boomers whose aging knees are tired of stairs.

The ranches of the 1950s and 1960s, with their long, low profiles, can trace their roots to 19th-century working cattle ranches of the American West, cross-bred with the horizontal Midwestern Prairie style of Frank Lloyd Wright. After a long drought in home construction during the Depression and World War II, developers produced ranches by the millions, along with other styles, including Cape Cods, starting in the late 1940s.

The houses were built at different price points and sizes. For many working- and middle-class families, they were the first step into affordable homeownership.

By the 1970s, however, tastes were changing, and few ranches were being built.

And in expensive regions, builders find it more cost-effective to make the most of a property by putting up two-story homes.

“Ranches are a bit stodgy,” said Kate Conover, a Re/Max agent in Saddle River, N.J.

Some older ranches have bedrooms so small that they can barely accommodate the queen- and king-size beds many people now prefer. But owners of ranch homes say they love living without stairs in an open floor plan.

Rick and Darlene Bandazian downsized from a big colonial in Wyckoff, N.J., to a smaller ranch about eight years ago, after their sons left home.

“The population is getting older, and the need for this type of home is obvious,” said Rick Bandazian, 59, a real estate agent with Coldwell Banker in Franklin Lakes, N.J. “Ranches will be a hot commodity in the next decade or two.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2013/03/14/2676159/ranch-style-homes-ready-for-a.html#storylink=cpy

I'm in the "hate it" crowd. We lived in one as a kid for about 10 years. I remember thinking how boring the layout was even then. Small rooms and a long corridor. Not my cup O' tea, but then again I'm not a baby boomer.

Boom Boom. Grew up in one and live on a 60's Ranch now. Personally, I like the style but the rooms are smaller. Ours is raised so the basement is half above grade. That way there are real windows down there and not just the small basement style. The basement rec room / den has decent natural light.

I live in a fifties ranch. I like it a lot, but the rooms and closets are smaller.

Trying to buy furniture for the den is a PITA. Most sofas and loveseats are far too big. Of course, I think they are waaay to large anyway, as I hate that overstuffed look.

This is one of the issues my parents are facing right now. In my area most of the houses are newer so they have the bedrooms upstairs. My parents prefer a single level house and there just aren't that many to choose from and when they do come on the market, they sell pretty quickly.

I live in a ranch that was built in 2008. It does have one long hallway, but the bedrooms are big and the kitchen, den, dining room area is very open. My dream house when I was looking was a ranch with a walkout basement. I got everything I wanted in this house with the exception of the walkout.

in atlanta they are building a ton of these senior living subdisviions (55 & older- no kids) and they are all ranches, no steps allowed on the property.. they are actually selling like hotcakes in this down market..

they are building some right outside my neighborhood for $250K & up (mostly up) but they look very cheaply done...

even in our rural community we have 55&older subdivisdion. They just finished building a 4- unit bldg, and are working on another. They already have like 5 of the 8 sold. They are single story, but have basements. There is one particular unit towards the road that we kid about it being jinxed as the estate sale sign followed by for sale signs were out about twice a yr for a couple yrs. A younger older couple...closer to the 55 age bought it this last time.

I dont know if I would want to live in one when I am older but I do like the thought of a quiet neighborhood, no kids running around, and more importantly no 16 year olds driving through the neighborhood at 55 mph....

the one they built next to our subdivision, they built the streets (a cool figure 8) about 7 years ago when the economy fell apart ,and didn't till recently build houses, but that's where I taught most of my kids to ride bikes, since it was paved, we could walk there and it was gated off from the main road, and didn't have to worry so much about other cars..

even in our rural community we have 55&older subdivisdion. They just finished building a 4- unit bldg, and are working on another. They already have like 5 of the 8 sold. They are single story, but have basements. There is one particular unit towards the road that we kid about it being jinxed as the estate sale sign followed by for sale signs were out about twice a yr for a couple yrs. A younger older couple...closer to the 55 age bought it this last time.

My mom lives in one of these communities. She's on the ground floor of a 4-unit, 2-story building. Most of the crowd there are little old ladies in their 80s. But it's like they went out of their way to make it inaccessible. Curbs, steps inside and out, long walks to the buildings,etc...

I nearly bought a brand new ranch about 2 years ago. HUGE open floor plan, good sized rooms, but it didn't have a decent master bath or walk-in closet, so I had to scratch it off the list. It was roughly 2600 sq/ft.

We live in a very senior-accessible fifties ranch. This article was encouraging since the senior appeal could help us if we ever decide to sell. I love the open floor plan, but my husband thinks it's too open, with no hallways. He wants a two-story so he can have a private bathroom to read and relax in, in peace.

He brags to strangers regularly (no pun intended) about having read War and Peace entirely on the john.

Back