R.I.P. Shirley Temple

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised to see that she was only 85. For some reason I expected her to be older, but then again she was a big movie star at 6.

I had no idea she was still alive, until I heard the story this morning on NPR. Which was also surprising because it talked about what a skilled diplomat she had become.

Very strange that I never knew about this - she actually sounds like a very remarkable woman. From the Washington Post today:

"After she stopped making movies in 1949, she served as White House chief of protocol, a delegate to the United Nations and an ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia."

"Mrs. Black ran in a losing bid for the U.S. House of Representatives as a Republican in a special election in 1967. Two other prominent California politicians at the time, U.S. Sen. George L. Murphy ® and Gov. Ronald Reagan ®, who was elected president in 1980, had been actors who had appeared in movies with the young child star.

“Politicians are actors, too, don’t you think?” Mrs. Black once said. “Usually if you like people and you’re outgoing, not a shy little thing, you can do pretty well in politics.”

In 1969, Mrs. Black was appointed a delegate to the United Nations by President Nixon. After Nixon’s resignation in 1974, Vice President Gerald R. Ford named Mrs. Black ambassador to Ghana. She later served briefly as chief of protocol of the United States, an advisory position at the State Department, in 1976 and 1977. In 1989, Reagan named her ambassador to Czechoslovakia, where she served three years as the country emerged from decades of communist rule."

Back