Question about structural engineering (nature of the work)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_injuneer

Reaction score
I am a nontrad undergrad switching fields into Civil Engineering and I have made some posts. I have a question about the nature of Structural Engineering, which is currently the subset I am leaning towards.

I have read some job descriptions of Structural which leads me to believe that it is different from what I imagined. So, can someone who is a Structural walk me through typical job duties. In particular, how much time is spent with being outdoors, and doing physically demanding work? I read one job description that said you would need to 'love to get dirty', lift at least 100 pounds, and be used to being outside and on your feet all day. Is it really that hard work physically? That sounds like construction.

I am not able to do an internship because I need to finish my classes as soon as I can and am on an accelerated program, so I have not been able to spare summers.

Thanks

A typical structural engineer spends most of their time in the office working at a computer. The job description you quoted sounds more like a construction engineer like you said or possibly a forensic structural engineer, which spends time investigating structural failures. I've been practicing structural engineering over 7.5 years and have spent minimal time in the field. If I do go to the field, it's to observe the work and answer questions, not get involved with construction.

Ble has pretty much nailed it. Unless you are in the field for special inspections or meetings, >75% of your time is at your desk doing design work or proposals.

I highly recommend you start studying the code books, thats what my office has interns do for their first couple of weeks. Classes these days don't get into the depth of the different codes, and theres plenty to look at. For the interns that stick around and become EITs, they appreciated having gone through the codes during the internship as it helped them with regular coursework.

Good luck with your classes and in finding a meaningful position.

Latest posts

Back