Pussy Riot Guilty

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
http://www.newser.com/story/152329/pussy-riot-found-guilty.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united

Not what I thought when I clicked on the Article..

Newser) – A Russian judge today found three members of punk band Pussy Riot guilty of hooliganism driven by "religious hatred and enmity" and sentenced them to two years in prison, Reuters reports. Prosecutors had been seeking three years. The three were arrested in March after performing an anti-Putin "punk prayer" inside Moscow's main cathedral. The three women sat in a courtroom cage as the judge addressed the court for nearly three hours.

Finally, two and a half hours after the band members were declared guilty, the sentence was read. Previously, the judge had been reading from a seemingly endless summary of the trial as participants and observers alike appeared to grow increasingly bored. From the Wall Street Journal's live blog: "One of the lawyers for Pussy Riot is blatantly flicking through a Twitter feed on her smartphone as the judge drones on."

^I'd been following this for the past couple weeks. The thought struck me at how different it is to live in Russia versus here, as this was going on around the same time the Chick Fil A thing was happening. Striking difference in religious and political freedoms. I don't think they picked the best venue to protest Putin, and I'm not supportive of desecrating the religious sites/artifacts of any religion even if I don't agree with them. But still it reminds me that we live in one of the best places on Earth.

I have absolutely no interest in the case, but I laughed uncontrollably every time the reporters on NPR said "Pussy Riot" today. And it was a LOT.

Jack Bauer was going to send jack Ryan to free the pussy riot in Russia but Obama said no.. What a pussy!

I have absolutely no interest in the case, but I laughed uncontrollably every time the reporters on NPR said "Pussy Riot" today. And it was a LOT.
I laughed even more when whats-her-face on "democracy now" had to say the band name, for the first time, a couple months ago. You could absolutely HEAR the inner feminist exploding inside her as she hesitated, and then finally said the band name. Classic NPR moment. Of course, it's such a topic now, that she says it every show without missing a beat. But that first one was a classic.

Funny story: I have a Russian friend, and she told me how the band was named. I guess they wanted to name the band "Cat Fight", and put that into an english translator and it came out "Pussy Riot.

Back