Phone Nerds

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Didn't want to pile up the NZ thread...

So that post about newegg had me thinking.. I need to update the wifes phone but don't want to deal with the ATT store.  How do I tell which one to buy that will work with AT&T?  They all list carrier frequencies? My younger sons (POS)Samsung died so he has been using a really old iphone 4 but the batt life is just not there anymore its so old, was looking to get one model lower than the current model to save some bucks..

Some list compatible operating systems (carriers like AT&T, Sprint, etc)  but other phone brands are cheaper?  Just curious from those of you that have bought them before & had them work?

There really are only 4 cell phone frequencies out there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies

Most new phones are "quad band" phones so they will work everywhere in the world. You may just need to swap out the sim card.

I've posted it many times already, but I'd recommend just getting a Google Nexus phone. They come unlocked and they are a great value for the price. You just buy them at the google store.

One thing though: You might need to go to ATT and have your wife's old sim card switched out. Most of the new phones use micro sim cards. 

I've posted it many times already, but I'd recommend just getting a Google Nexus phone.
True dat!  You're not likely to find a better off-contract price for a state-of-the-art smart phone (2nd only to Samsung of course ;)  ) today.

^tru dat!!!  I'd be interested in that info too
LOL....no you aren't.  Don't you still have a flip phone?   :p

Google can go fuck themselves!

for both the POS Samsung phones and Apple phones they list these frequencies:

GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B 800/1700/1900/2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100 MHz LTE 1/2/3/4/5/8/13/17/19/20/25

Is there somewhere on my phones I can check this info and compare?

I am assuming my safest bet is just to get one that list the same carrier as I have?

LOL

What existing phone do you presently have?  One would be hard-pressed to buy a newer phone today that didn't work on a network.  It's in the phone manufacturer's best interests to allow their phones to work on multiple networks.  

Wife is still using an Iphone4 and my youngest has one of the Samsung galaxy mini's (not sure why but we have had three of those (bought new)) and they all died about 18 months in..

Looks like I can get the "last model" i.e. Iphone 5 and Samsung 5/6? for around $200 EA. which I figured is better than getting nickeled and dimed by any of the carriers..

When my younger sons Samsung died we just took the sim card and put it in another iphone 4 and it worked, but the problem is those phones are so old the batt's just don't work well..

Google & Amazon will run the world soon.  Resistance is futile.

The i-Phone 4 has the following specs.  So long as you match those you should be fine.  Worst case, as long as you buy from a reputable online retailer, it shouldn't be too difficult to return/exchange something.  But I see a slim chance of that happening.

Technology

GSM / HSPA

2G bands

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G bands

HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

Speed

HSPA 7.2/5.76 Mbps

GPRS

Class 10

EDGE

Class 10

Last edited by a moderator:
True dat!  You're not likely to find a better off-contract price for a state-of-the-art smart phone (2nd only to Samsung of course ;)  ) today.

LOL....no you aren't.  Don't you still have a flip phone?   :p
I'm doing research...I'm undecided at the moment.  But straight talks $45 unlimited all included is cheaper than anything I could get through verizon even with my 18% discount from work.

SF has Straight Talk and has zero issues with it.  Despite the lower data cap before they neck back speeds compared to other carriers, it's still as fast or faster than my POS Verizon service.  When we change locations and have free parking, I'm going to reactivate my S6 with Straight Talk.

Back