Pet Noise Ordinance Debate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJmike PE

Game Czar
Reaction score
http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/25872914/pet-noise-ordinance-debate-is-dividing-wadena?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

A heated debate is dividing Wadena, Minnesota. A pet ordinance passed, and now some in the community are calling it ridiculous.

[SIZE=12pt]"You could have a ten foot fence, and trees growing around it, you are still going to hear a dog bark," says Edwin Mann, who is concerned about the pet ordinance.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The ordinance says pets in certain parts of town can't bark, or make noise from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m.[/SIZE]

How is this even possible. It's laughable. Anyone with a dog knows that keeping a dog from barking is like keeping a baby from crying.

If it's a nuisance, it should be dealt with. An owner with a dog who barks all night, but can sleep through it all, should be held accountable for the grief of his neighbors. I see nothing wrong with it if it is a documented, case-by-case, true nuisance ordeal.

nuisance, yes. But speaking from experience, when someone or something crosses my yard, or even in front of my yard my dog lets me know. To me it's security, however others will surely consider it a nuisance just because they can hear it. And living in a close proximity lake community, you can someTIMES hear arguments between people inside. So quieting a dog from barking under the same circumstances in my opinion are ridiculous.

I've dealt with this before. To me, I don't care whether the neighbors have dogs or not. However, if they're kept outside and are barking outside nightly, I shouldn't have to put up with it. My rest is disrupted and my day suffers because of it. I'm sure my neighbor wouldn't want me to run open headers when he's trying to sleep. Why should nuisance animal noise be dealt with any differently if the end results are the same for both situations?

I will 100% agree with you on the fact that dogs left out all night long and are disruptive should be dealt with. However I cannot agree with being fined if my dog, which is inside, sees something outside that is alarming to him and he lets me know and it happens to be during those hours.

From the article, it seems like the ordinance was drafted to target the Humane Society in a particular part of town. Totally unfair as the city issued the permit to construct the facility in the first place, and should have made the fence a condition of approval. Sounds like a case of the tail wagging the dog (sorry).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it meant if you dog bark like "woof" then "woof" then done...but if you keep your dog keeping barking for next 5 min...then ya

I agree with YMZ that it seems like it's targeted.

However, in a more general sense, a baby stops crying after a certain point. Some dogs bark and bark. I don't think it's unreasonable that an owner would have to handle that. We had a dog down the alley that would just bark and bark all the fricking time. The dog is now gone and it's wonderful. I find dogs that are bored or not walked bark more than others. Our neighbor boxer is a fantastic dog that only barks when there's real trouble, not just to pass the time. They also walk him at least twice a day to keep up with his energy.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/how_to_stop_barking.html

Back