Oregreenies Go After Their Green Cars

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Oregon government officials continue to consider a per-mileage tax for plug-in and highly fuel efficient vehicles. The reason? To boost road-improvement funds in one of the country's most progressive states, theRegister-Guard from Eugene, OR, reports.

Earlier this week, state officials held the first public hearing for House Bill 2453, which would institute a per-mile fee for model year 2015 (and later) vehicles that get at least 55 miles per gallon. The fee may be about a cent and a half per mile, which would equal about $230 annually for a plug-in vehicle owner who drives 15,000 miles.
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/03/oregon-proposes-1-5-cent-per-mile-mileage-tax-for-evs-would-als/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D277949

Unintended consequences are a b!tch. Wonder how they're going to enforce that one. How much time will elapse between enactment and either the sales of the cars dropping completely to 0 or hacks to circumvent the system being introduced for sale.

It's about time these free loaders if our transportation network pay their fair share!

Oh no. Can't do that. Toll roads kill the illusion (even in the most economically illiterate) that the road system is free. They also don't generate anywhere near the amount of bureaucracy required to make a politician happy.

Toll roads have proven a failure in SC. I keep hearing the state is going to take over the one road operating here when the company goes under.

One of the best roads that I have traveled is a toll road in Denver. In my mind, the answer to the decreased revenue from the gas tax due to higher mpg vehicles is to eliminate it and institute a per use fee (i.e. toll roads). People are against them because they have the mindset that using the roads are free.

Back