OCt 2009 Exam Concerns

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alikat001

Reaction score
I have been out of school for two years and just recently signed up for the FE Exam in October this year. How realistic is it to start studying now to be able to do well on the exam assuming that I plan to study everday up to 1 week before the test date. I am a CHE should I take the DS or General Exam in the afternoon?

And if you didn't start studying now what would the alternative be? It sounds like you are signed up. Why worry about the odds of doing well and just focus on studying and passing the exam?

When I took the FE/EIT I took a course at the college and passed it before I graduated and they STRONGLY recommended that you take the general in the afternoon. I took the general and passed it, the benifit I had with the EIT was I did not really care, I figured I would take this exam instead of buying a few bottles of booze and a few cases of beer after all the college was going to do the paper work for me and the course was free so I bought the book and did some practice problems and sat for it but there was not really any nervousness. Later on when I wanted to take my PE (this oct) I was glad I took and passed the EIT instead of buying a case of beer lol. Now for the PE I dont have that care free attitude because having a PE or not having a PE can mean the difference between being laid off or not. Either way going in paniced is not going to do me any good so I figure I will take the advice of another poster and go in thinking im going to take it again anyways that way it wont be as big of a deal and that should take the edge off.

Guess that depends on where your strengthens are/were in school. I also took prep class during college and they said to take the discipline specific, since as a chem e you'd be more app to be able to answer those questions than say a physics or mechanics question. I had to reteach myself the various physics topics for the FE exam, because I did poorly in those classes the first few yrs in school. Taking a general afternoon, you are opening yourself up to a lot more material that many other disciplines are more fluent in.

Having the chem e background the math and chemistry parts of the morning should be easy points and those sections count more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed when I looked at the chemE section for the afternoon on the EIT it appeared you loose alot of the low hanging fruit like a cake walk calc question and it opened up right into PFD flow diagrams and reactors, I just did a flip through the chemE section and realized the problems would have taken me longer than the time I had for each question (I cant believe I remember this after 5 years), the fluids questions that were in the general were bad enough. Also you have to study for the morning section no matter what and the afternoon general is just a carry over of thoes same questions. If you were strong in your chemE classes and confident then you can do it but I had a co worker that just sat for the EIT and failed and she tried doing the chemE section and that boogered her up because the questions were harder and you do loose that low hanging fruit. You could buy the chemE EIT study guide and see what you think.

If you've already signed up for the FE, might as well take it.

I took the FE about 10 years after college. Although I'm ChE, I don't work directly with typcial ChE stuff like pumps, distillation, etc. The advice I got was to take the general in the afternoon that way my studying would be more focused. The afternoon general was similar to the morning, except that it was more in depth. This way I didn't study for the morning, then switch off to studying for the ChE afternoon. I studied for the morning, then a bit extra over the same topics for the general exam in the afternoon.

Back