NOAA Results from Chile Earthquake

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJmike PE

Game Czar
Reaction score
The following is a link to data from National Data Buoy Center at NOAA.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/?lat=15&lon=-140&zoom=2&type=h&status=r&pgm=Tsunami&op=NDBC&ls=false

10169187_10153127212834041_1020132788_n.png

Stations with recent data
tiny_historical_marker.png
Stations with historical data only
tiny_inactive_marker.png
Stations with no data in last 8 hours
(24 hours for tsunami stations)
tiny_tsunami_event_marker.gif
Tsunami station in event mode
(within previous 24 hours)

So according to the above map and link, the flashing yellow markers represent show which of our deep-ocean tsunami detection stations (called “DART” buoys) were triggered by yesterday's earthquake off Chile. How are there any that were triggered in the Atlantic Ocean?

Perhaps the buoys need to be recalibrated?

I get how the energy transmits through the waters, enough so that it could be felt as far north as Alaska, but in my mind that would had to have either passed through the Panama Canal, or around all of SA and then traveled up to the buoy which appears to be off shore of the Carolinas.

I don't know what you are looking at. but the thing I see on my screen has yellow ones over there too dude.
Yes, the map copied here is a captured image, so there are large and small yellow markers across the entire map. However the larger ones represent the ones which were triggered as a result of yesterday's event.

EDIT: click on the link. There is an animated map to support this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the tsunami was so huge it washed right over central america, into the gulf and then out into the Atlantic!!!! :eek:hmy:

we should start spreading that across the interwebs. If its there, people will believe it.

Back