NEC Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) and (b)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAGR2013

Reaction score
If I have rated 90 degree #12 THHN runs in ambient 55 degree, the capacity is 30A based on 310.15(B)(16). Because it is used in 55 degree, the factor need to multiply. If use (a), the factor is 0.76, however if use (b), the factor is 0.84, which one shall I use?

1.PNG

2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on which table you're using for the conductor size/rating. What's the exact question you're trying to solve? You want to match the ambient temperature rating of the wire to the table.  Let me know what the problem is and I can clarify. I had the same issue last month and figured out which one to use (typically it ends up being B2a).

If I have rated 90 degree #12 THHN runs in ambient 55 degree, the capacity is 30A based on 310.15(B)(16). Because it is used in 55 degree, the factor need to multiply. If use (a), the factor is 0.76, however if use (b), the factor is 0.84, which one shall I use?
If you're referencing Table 310.15(B)(16) for allowable conductor ampacity, double-check the title of the table. It indicates that the corresponding ampacities are based on an ambient temperature of 30 deg. C. So the 30 deg. C adjustment factor table (2)(a) should be used. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back