Mechanics at Chevy dealership beat on customer's car

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I try to do my own auto maintenance!! When I don't have the time or the tools, bringing the vehicles in to a repair shop feels like russian roulette...

even a convenient oil change turns into :suicide1:

I recall way back in the early 80's, a friend asked me to drop his new corvette off at the dealer for service for him. As I was leaving the service desk I watched one of the guys light up the tires on the 'vette as he moved it toward the service bay.

^Must have been an older model because my uncle's 79 Corvette couldn't spin a tire on pavement.

What a dog.

^Must have been an older model because my uncle's 79 Corvette couldn't spin a tire on pavement.

What a dog.
nope. it was an '80 of course it was the smooth concrete floor fo the garadge and going up an inclined ramp :) Can't really blame the General, that was all the tree-huggers would allow back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

What a dog.
nope. it was an '80 of course it was the smooth concrete floor fo the garadge and going up an inclined ramp :) Can't really blame the General, that was all the tree-huggers would allow back then.
That was a truly horrid era to live through for car lovers.

I would never ever ever take a car to a dealership for service (and my dad worked at car dealerships for 25 years).

I'm glad I have a local mechanic I trust.

corvettes are made to hook anyway. even a 69 427ci vette struggles if you wanna bake em. but boy mind you....your azz is firmly planted in the seat after its 2 squawks and goneeeeeeeee.

these newer camaros bake em if you get the trac cont off? kid here at work just bought a 10 ss. cant even get him spin the tires. honestly.... its like spending the 200 bucks on a nice snap on ratchet..... and using the half stripped craftsman in the junk drawer! sheesh even my pickup was rolling smoke when i pulled it out of the dealership for the first time.

I take my car to the dealership for service without issues. Granted, the service writer and tech are both members of the Camaro club I'm in. Even then, I sit at the door and watch every second of my car's maintenance. If they have to leave the lot, I'm in the car with them. Period.

My hovering absolutely pisses off the guys at the tire shop. My rims are powdercoated and I don't want them to use impact tools when putting on/taking off the wheels, so naturally, the first time I took it in for a flat repair the tech automatically grabbed the impact wrench. If I hadn't been standing there to stop him, he would have been responsible for buying me a new set of rims.

I refuse to "leave" my car with anyone. Hell, I don't even trust my car to be parked outside overnight. My parking space at the bus-station is directly under the surveillance camera. I don't leave my car to chance.

Back