Lighting problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techie_Junkie_PE_LEED_AP

PE, LEED AP, Ponderer of the abstract
Reaction score
I've seen a few posts asking about Lighting problems. There seems to be a lack of info available on this topic, especially from the other board stuff.

I only took the PE once, and there was only one lighting problem on it. I guess at it after much thought and using elimination. Curious, I went to a University library and found a few books. "Public lighting" and the IES Lighting Handbook. I found the exact question and answer in the IES. (I guessed right!)

The first was good even though it was from the 60's. The IES handbook was incredible, it had everything in it from parking lots, highways to stadium lighting. As of today, there is an IES handbook (1972) on eBay starting @ $9.99 (no, its not mine!)

Like I said, there was only one question on mine. Other have said there were none. Sp, I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend to be prepared to get that one or two random questions correct.

They always seem to have one odd-ball problem that just about nobody will get. Some years it's lighting, some years it's not. There was no lighting question when I took the test, and instead I was hit with some OSHA-type question about a codebook I'd never even heard of and nobody could possibly have prepared for. This lighting/whatever question is almost impossible to prepare for because it will require specialized references nobody has, and even if the lighting question does show up, they don't seem to be courteous enough to ask the same type of question twice, making your preparations for naught...

I compiled a number of of internet references for lighting and put them in my binder with the other misc information; this was easy to do and seemed to make more sense than dropping $100 on a lighting reference (though $10 isn't bad!). Better off putting that money and effort into the other 79 problems, I think ;)

Last edited:
Back