Jury Duty

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
With the Blago retrial begining again in IL. The jury selection brought up some good issues. If potential jurors are getting a pass because serving would cause a financial hardship, there is going to be a point where the only people serving on juries are those with $ that can afford to take the time. Will it really be a jury of your peers at that point? Does the $ given to jurors need to be increased or other safeguards to ensure people will not lose their jobs or pay while serving?

Bureau of Labor Statistics cites that in 2007, 71% of workers in private industry had paid jury leave as a benefit.

http://www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/sp/ebsm0006.pdf

Obviously, there's been a bit of a economic change since 2007...but I'd hazard a guess that many people are paid to be at jury duty, while temp jobs and hourly positions may not be.

However, I'd argue that very few people ever have a jury of their peers. I was called up for jury duty in college and I got out of it because of a lab. I then saw that it had been a drug case, to which I exploded that I wasn't that person's peer, because I was too busy doing homework to ever have time for drugs.

Interesting thought, though.

Back