Is there a drone in your neighbourhood?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
There are at least 63 active drone sites around the U.S, federal authorities have been forced to reveal following a landmark Freedom of Information lawsuit.

The unmanned planes – some of which may have been designed to kill terror suspects – are being launched from locations in 20 states.

Most of the active drones are deployed from military installations, enforcement agencies and border patrol teams, according to the Federal Aviation Authority.

But, astonishingly, 19 universities and colleges are also registered as owners of what are officially known as unmanned aerial vehicles.

It is thought that many of institutions, which include Cornell, the University of Colorado, Georgia Tech, and Eastern Gateway Community College, are developing drone technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call it antagonistic, but it is a classic example of, as Bill Clinton once said, something that is 'technically accurate, but factually misleading.'

..., but it is a classic example of, as Bill Clinton once said, something that is 'technically accurate, but factually misleading.'
Whoa, wait a minute... is that when he was talking about where Little Billy had gone spelunking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Right along with his other classic, 'that depends on what the meaning of 'is' is.'

I know that I have drones in my backyard. The university has at least 3, and both the military bases have at least 1. I have yet to see / hear them fly over the house, but that doesn't mean they havn't already.

A co-workers son has built one as well and is trying to get it certified for assisting with local search & rescue operations. It's a pretty nice system, but the paperwork is a major pain in the arse.

Ok, I'll bite:

droids2.jpg

Back