IRS: We can read emails without warrant

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
In a 2009 handbook, the IRS said the Fourth Amendment does not protect emails because Internet users "do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in such communications." A 2010 presentation by the IRS Office of General Counsel reiterated the policy.

Under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986, government officials only need a subpoena, issued without a judge's approval, to read emails that have been opened or that are more than 180 days old.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/292989-irs-claims-it-can-read-emails-without-a-warrant#ixzz2QAPe5j6L

I don't think NSA (or anyone else) can break 256-bit AES at rest, but if they've got access to side-channel attacks they surely can. How would they do that with your e-mail?

Perhaps it's time to start emailing goatse pics with IRS "hot" words in them...

I don't think NSA (or anyone else) can break 256-bit AES at rest, but if they've got access to side-channel attacks they surely can. How would they do that with your e-mail?

Precisely. There are military-grade tools that can do this work, but I doubt the IRS has access to them let alone anyone that can utilize it.

Precisely. There are military-grade tools that can do this work, but I doubt the IRS has access to them let alone anyone that can utilize it.

Srsly?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that they not only have access, but they have even better stuff they keep in house.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yup. Based on the few I've talked to who used to work for the IRS. Picture "Milton" from Office Space. I'd be surprised if any of them even knew what a hard drive was.

I have no doubt they have a wing of computer pro's that would marvel Men in Black to be honest, and they probably have the software to already read every email sent in the US, what they don't have is the Constitutionality to use it as evidence....

another reason to NOT have a facebook/twitter/instagram account, cause if you dont think they are targeting people that post "Im cheating on my taxes and I dont care who knows it" knock knock..

Ever hear of DEF CON?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEF_CON

My boss was in the Navy and was into special intelligence. The government sends lots of computer savvy guys to this conference to participate in "Capture the Flag". I wouldn't be surprised if someone of those smarts has the computer know-how to do what the government wants.

Back